I do my best to steer clear from the peeps who call themselves "nutrition experts" and then promote processed crap. Now, I am not into judging or labelling or any of that jazz- so to help me exercise my non-judgment exercises I just avoid. Sometimes, though, it builds up and gets tough to ignore.
When in the span of a few short weeks, I was sent articles written by "nutrition experts" who promote the consumption of nitrates, saying they are a-okay (how I despise studies funded by companies that have a vested interest in our increased consumption of poison), and the same 'nutritionist' who is a paid promotor of healthwashed processed deli meats. "Natural Deli Meat" is an oxymoron unto itself.
Then there are the "nutrition experts" who health wash our very own "Healthwashing" title by declaring an Egg (Mc)Muffin a better breakfast option than a bran muffin (and also suggests deli meat over a tuna sandwich and instead of granola bars- um... more deli meat?).
All of this makes me want to change my job title to avoid being lumped together with this nonsense.
Instead, I will offer you some real food. It is not a THIS versus THAT issue, it is more about common sense, trusting your instincts, staying away from packaged food as much as possible and keeping it whole.
This was lifted from somewhere and sent over to me:
The healthiness of your diet is determined by what you DON'T eat - not by what you do eat... "Superfoods" typically have some various vitamins and compounds that are good and so feel free to include them as part of your normal diet. BUT if you are just adding a superfood to a crappy diet and expecting that to do the work for you, you will be disappointed.
Now then- we can pretend that the THAT here is a bran muffin, an Egg McMuffin, toast and cheese, fried eggs and bacon, pancakes, waffles, a milkshake disguised as a smoothie, or deli meats. It doesn't really matter. Great health promoting foods don't need to be leaned up against crap to be great, they are just great for being great. Love it, right? Can I get a Hey now for THIS breakfast! (Click to tweet that!)
10 Reasons THIS is a Better Breakfast than THAT
- Raw, live, enzyme rich component of fresh seasonal fruit (in this case, an apple).
- Raw, live enzume rich and probiotic goodness from a fermented yogurt (in this case, coconut kefir)
- Diverse sources of plant based proteins (hemp seeds, yogurt, and Sunwarrior protein powder)
- Dash of fresh cinnamon for blood sugar balance
- Ideal balance of omega 3 to omega 6 in the hemp seeds for anti-inflammatory benefit
- Drizzle of low glycemic coconut syrup as a sweetener.
- This is 100% gluten-free
- No cook time required.
- Made from scratch.
Yield: 1 serving
- 1 apple, cut into ½ inch pieces
- ½ cup coconut kefir or organic sheep milk yogurt
- ½-1 Tbs Sunwarrior protein powder
- 1-2 Tbs hemp seeds
- Dash of cinnamon
- Coconut syrup to sweeten
- Add apples to bowl, dollop on coconut kefir or yogurt with optional protein powder mixed in.
- Sprinkle with hemp seeds and cinnamon.
- Drizzle with coconut syrup.
Question Of The Day: What are some of the most ridiculous bits of "nutrition wisdom" you have encountered?