Berries. I would marry you if I could. I love you all. Blue, Rasp, Black, Golden, Goose, Goji. If the end result wouldn’t be massive nutritional imbalance, I would live on berries with maybe an allowance for BC cherries too.
On the last day of our Tofino Adventure, Josh and I were driving back across the island to get the ferry when we were swayed off the road by a great big “Fresh Blueberries” sign. We were astounded to learn that we could get a 10lb box for $7.00 (We saw the same box at Granville Island Market the next day for $25).
We couldn’t believe it and immediately started stuffing our faces. Blueberries for snacks, blueberries for breakfast, blueberries for dinner, blueberries blueberries blueberries. My only regret was that I was so far from my own kitchen and so unable to buy ten boxes to make my momma’s fave blueberry jam, juice, soup, crumble, smoothies, pancakes and salsa.
Though perhaps this was for the best. We had no choice but to consume these berries in their naked rawness. Straight from the box. Between Josh and I, we managed to consume all 10lbs of berries in 48 hours and learned the following:
- This was not enough to make us grow sick of them.
- This much berry consumption keeps things tres regular.
- Eating in abundance what is local and seasonal is the very best way to go.
- We wished we travelled with a chest freezer so we could keep on the berry binge.
As I have mentioned before, the very best berry to eat is the one that grows close to home. They are by far my fruit of choice as they are all power-packed with anti-oxidants and phytonutrients and are also low glycemic which means we keep our blood sugar balanced and are less prone to the post fruit bloat (also known as the Muffin Top).
One of the things we loved so much about the places we ate in and around Tofino was their emphasis on using foods that came from in and around Tofino. I feel in love with the blueberry salsa that accompanied my Wild Fish Taco that I had at Sobo. On coming home and back into my kitchen, this was one of the first recipes I tackled. Without further ado: Blueberry Lover Peach Salsa.
Blueberry Lover Peach Salsa
1/2 cups fresh tomatoes, quartered
2 cups fresh blueberries
1 cup fresh peaches, chopped
1/2 cup fresh kiwi, chopped
2 Tbs lime juice
1/4 cup green onions, chopped
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup fresh mint
1 avocado, cut into small chunks
sea salt and cayenne to taste
jalapeno or chili pepper optional
- Pulse tomatoes and 1/2 cup of peaches together with lime juice, green onions, cilantro, and mint. You want it slightly blended but still a wee chunky.
- Transfer to mixing bowl and stir in blueberries, remaining 1/2 cup of peaches, chopped kiwi, avocado, sea salt and cayenne.
- Fall in love with this and put it on everything you eat.