Well hi and hello there my sweet lovely ladies (and few but mighty gents!). Isn’t a brand shiny new year just the best thing ever? Really. The best. I don’t care if this year is just a few days old- I am loving it already.
I want so very badly to post my brand new sweet potato barley brownie recipe but feel like it might be a little too soon post holiday to start throwing sweet treats at you- so I’ll save them until tomorrow. Enough time right?
Packing your own lunch is one of the easiest and most fun changes to make. It’s easy because all you are doing is bringing food with you to work/school/wherever. It’s fun because you get to be your own little take out restaurant – you can pack it in cute containers and pretend you’re on a picnic.
Pack It Right With All Your Might
- Make Your Day Easier. I know this may sound strange when you think about how easy it is to just walk to the cafe next door to your office and pick up lunch on your break. Well, think about this. How many other people usually go to that cafe during lunch? A lot. And you’re all waiting in that same long line for lunch. By the time you get back to the office, you have to scarf that sandwich down before it’s back to work. Not much of a lunch break. Hello stress and indigestion. Pack your own and you could avoid all this and actually relax during your break. Maybe get a conversation in with a coworker and oh yes, taste your food. Wouldn’t that be nice?
- Be A Control Freak. This is a no-brainer. By packing your lunch you can be sure you are making a healthy choice. This way, you can make sure you’re getting your veggies, fruits, whole grains, protein, and healthy fats. No more unbalanced meals and no guilty feelings. You’ll probably feel a whole lot more energized than you would from the typical lunch-time fare.
- Cha-Ching. That’s The Sound Of Money Being Saved. This is always nice. By packing your lunches and snacks, you will save money. If you typically spend eight dollars on your lunch, this adds up to 30 dollars per week. This means you would be spending $1,500 per year just on lunches! Pack your lunch and join me on a retreat instead! This, of course, doesn’t count the money spent on coffee breaks and other snacks. Make use of all the goodies in your fridge and eat up those leftovers.
This salad in particular makes a great breakfast, lunch, snack or dinner. Dessert would be a tough sell.
Power Protein Quinoa Explosion
2 cups cooked quinoa (3/4 cup quinoa and 1 1/2 cups water)
1 block tempeh
1/2 cup cabbage, shredded
1/2 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
1 heaping handful sprouts of choice (cut bite size if needed)
2 Tbs olive oil
sea salt to taste
- Once quinoa is cooked, allow to cool. (cook as you would rice or any grain, just rinse first then cook)
- Cut tempeh into cubes (about 1 inch square or smaller if you prefer)
- Heat oil in skillet and sautee in onions and tempeh
- Once browned and cooked, remove from heat and allow to cool
- Once quinoa and tempeh are cool, toss in the mix of veggies.
3 Tbs balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup flax oil
1 Tbs miso paste (optional)
juice of 1/2 lemon
2 Tbs honey
2 tsp tamari, soy or sea salt
- Toss salad with dressing just before you’re going to serve it. If packing for lunch, best to store salad as is, and dress just before eating.