I swear to my mismatched stripey socks that if I see another root vegetable recipe or some creative concoction of squash I am going to throw my spatula out the window and light my aprons on fire. I done with winter cooking. Done I say. DONE! Are you listening???
It is time to bring in some spring. I am ready for the first harvests. I want some new kale, I want some wild leeks, I want Spring earth mother lovers. Spring.
This is where my man would look at me and say, “Why stress over what you can’t change”. Or even more annoying, when I am pouting like a school girl who’s knee highs won’t stay up, he’ll say “Use this as an exercise”. Well I won’t goodness darnnit. I won’t.
So to soothe my soul because the boob-like shape of buttrnut squash no longer amuses me the way it did when it was fresh and new back in the fall, I decided to make one last ditch ever to find some love in my heart for this cancer fighting, immune boosting, fibre-tastic fruit that everyone thinks is a vegetable and turn it into something we all know and love.
Without further ado, I present to you, Butternut Squash Brownies. Make them now, love me tomorrow, and hate me the day after when you have devoured the entire tray.
3 ounces (or about 1 bar) Unsweetened Chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Coat and 8 inch square pan with coconut oil and powder with flour.
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil over low heat.
- Combine squash, sucanut, honey, cocoa powder, vanilla and apple sauce. I used my blender, food processor would work well too.
- Add the chocolate/oil mix and blend/combine until smooth- should be creamy, not too dry.
- Transfer ingredients to a bowl and mix in the flour, baking powder and sea salt.
- Add water if needed for desired consistency.
- Pour batter into the pan, smooth it out with a spatula and bake it for about 35-40 minutes.
- Insert a tooth pick in to make sure cooked through, they should be firm when you press down.
- Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.
Question Of The Day: What seasonal treat has you jonesing for some spring time action?