It’s no secret that I love good chocolate – in fact, I have an entire section of recipes devoted to it. Quality chocolate isn’t just delicious, it also contains a ton of amazing health benefits for our insides and our outsides. As a rule, I only put something on my skin that I would actually eat and this chocolate face mask performs double duty: it’s fantastic when slathered on your skin, and also makes a luxurious chocolate pudding and fudge.
Longtime readers will know that edible beauty care is my thing. There are far too many dangerous compounds in conventional beauty care and personal care products, and one of the ways we can avoid them is to either purchase clean options, or get into the kitchen and make them ourselves. What goes on our skin eventually ends up in our bodies and if I can’t eat it, I don’t want to rub it into my skin either. It’s our largest elimination organ, after all.
You probably already have everything you need to make this chocolate face mask in your kitchen but the tough part will be choosing if you want to wear it or eat it!
The Health Benefits of Chocolate
If you need some extra convincing to eat chocolate, here we go!
- Is rich in antioxidants.
- Is high in flavanols that give the skin extra protection against free radical damage created by UV light hitting our skin.
- Is high in the mineral magnesium, which is essential for muscle relaxation, helping the heart to pump blood efficiently, building strong bones and lowering blood pressure.
- Improves blood flow and vessel function.
- Contains anandamide, a plant chemical that translates as bliss in the brain, as well as neurotransmitters that stimulate and balance brain activity.
- Has the beauty mineral sulphur, responsible for healthy skin, nails and hair.
- Raises the level of serotonin in the brain; acting as an anti-depressant and promotes a sense of well-being.
- Stimulates the secretion of endorphins, producing a pleasurable sensation similar to the “runner’s high”.
- Has anti-inflammatory and immune-boosting properties.
How This Chocolate Face Mask Helps Your Skin
- Protection: The strong antioxidant content in chocolate helps to protect the skin against aging and UV damage. Studies indicate that cocoa can defend us from sun damage, though that doesn’t mean you can bask in the sun at all times; it’s still important to enjoy the sunshine while also being sun-smart.
- Improve Circulation: Chocolate’s flavanols improve our skin’s blood circulation and decrease skin roughness and scaling.
- Smoothes Skin: These flavanols can also reduce wrinkles and boost skin elasticity.
- Pretty Young Thing: Topical chocolate specifically can contribute to anti-aging, reducing photodamage and wrinkles.
- Reduce Inflammation: Honey is rich in anti-inflammatory and immune-boosting properties; it can be used topically to heal wounds and burns, and also can help address inflammatory skin disorders like eczema, dermatitis and rosacea.
- Exfoliate: Oatmeal provides a gentle scrubbing action to help slough your skin.
- Hydration: Avocado has a wealth of great fats that help to keep skin hydrated and supple, reduce inflammation, protect the nervous system, balance blood sugar levels and more.
As you can see, this chocolate face mask and fudge recipe helps whether you eat it or apply it to your skin!
I opt for raw cacao, which has more antioxidants and other nutrients compared to cocoa powder that has undergone more processing. However, if you’ve only got cocoa on hand you will still be able to reap the benefits of this recipe. Your chocolate should also be ethically sourced and produced.
Chocolate Face Mask and Fudge Options
You can follow the recipe as-is below, or fancy up your fudge by adding a few more options:
- Cacao butter or coconut oil (these will help firm it up more)
- Coconut butter
- Mint oil or extract
- Mushroom powders
- Ground goji berries
So: Face Mask or Fudge? The choice is yours!