Yes, there have been a lot of one-pot meals happening around here. I have always loved a one-pot meal but it’s not until the baby arrived that I truly appreciated the magic of prepping my veggies at the start of the week and then basically being able to throw everything in a pot to simmer for 20 minutes. One pot and two bowls to wash aaaaand we’re done here. This is my go-to simple coconut curry recipe – this time made with cod.
Guess what? This also isn’t any fancy food styling like the food bloggers are doing these days. I literally had to keep blowing on this while I was shooting it so the steam wouldn’t fog my lens. My lens – I say that I like I know what I’m doing.
This was my actual dinner.
I called it a day from my desk work at 5:30pm, then started, finished and photographed this meal by 6:10pm. And this bowl you see here? I basically devoured it by 6:22pm.
That is just one of the many, many, many things I love about a solid curry recipe. The other things? It is loaded with goodness. In this bowl I have carrots, peppers, onions, and garlic. I have my protein, in this case Icelandic Cod. The spices? My homemade garam masala and some extra turmeric for good measure. Lastly, just before serving, I stirred in some greens. Cilantro is probably a better fit for a garnish but since I had parsley washed and ready in the fridge, I used that.
A one-pot meal, by its very nature, is supposed to be easy and this one fits the bill. There’s no filler, and no fuss. Mix and match your veggies. Enjoy it as is in a bowl, or scoop over rice or noodles. Eat half and freeze the rest. It also packs easily to take to work for lunch.
To make a long story short, this is a super winner and checks all the boxes:
- Flexible / Modifiable
- Under 30 minutes to prep + cook
- Instagrammable! :)
Alright then, get to it.Print
Coconut Curry with Cod Recipe
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
A simple gluten-free and dairy-free coconut curry using cod.
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp sea salt or more to taste
- 1/2 cup matchstick carrots
- 1 red pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 cups organic coconut milk
- 1 pound cod, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 cups greens of choice, cut into thin strips
- cilantro to garnish
- In a pot melt the coconut oil and then mix in onions and garlic. Sautée for about 5 minutes.
- Add garam masala, turmeric, chilli flakes and salt.
- Stir in carrots, red pepper, lime juice and coconut milk.
- Add fish, stir and let sit to simmer for 20 minutes. Try and avoid aggressive stirring once the fish is in as it will flake apart.
- Once fish is cooked through and flaking, gently mix in greens and remove from heat.
- Serve on it’s own, or over rice or noodles and garnish with cilantro.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Dinner
9 responses to “Coconut Curry with Cod | Gluten + Dairy-Free”
I made this for my 1 year old little guy tonight and I just wanted to say, it’s AMAZING. Thank you so much, this will be on our dinner rotation from now on.
I’m glad your little guy loved this as much as ours did!
Hi, I am a vegetarian – what would be the best substitute for cod :D ..to enhance the taste and nutritional value
I am a Newfoundlander and this was a glorious way to cook the summer’s catch from the food fishery!
Thanks for the recipe. It was great! I added small cubes of sweet potato and small cauliflower florets as well for a heartier meal.
I can’t wait to make this tonight. However The recipe is Coconut Curry Cod. I don’t see where you added curry to the dish.?
Hi Sharron! There isn’t curry powder in this recipe. The other spices I’ve included make it a curry.
I added 1 1/2 cups of diced butternut squash, 1/2 inch of shredded ginger, doubled the pepper flakes, and a cup of cashew nuts — the result was outstanding.
Great recipe. Easy peasy.
I added squash, beans and broccoli.