Written by Daniel Hoffmann.
How can you make a difference through your relationship with food? At The Cutting Veg Organic Farm, we try to inspire and support people to take action in their relationship with food to improve their quality of life, while making a difference. Remember, a healthy world starts with healthy lifestyles.
Here are a couple of options as to how you can take action to enhance your relationship with food, and the health of the planet:
- Cook and eat whole foods: As food-revolution author Michael Pollan likes to say "Don't eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as food." A diet based on fresh fruit and vegetables, whole grains, and moderate amounts of fresh meat and dairy products is best for you and for the planet.
- Grow your own: The second best place to get your food is directly from the producer. The best is when you grow it yourself! When we grow some of our own food organically, we enrich the environment, learn valuable skills, enjoy exercise and time outdoors, and get to delight in the flavours of homegrown produce!
- Vote with your dollar: Purchase your food directly from the producer, or from a source you believe in. Buying your food at Farmers Markets and CSAs (www.thecuttingveg.com/CSA) provide you and your family with the highest quality food (nutrition and flavour), while supporting the development of a healthy food system.
- Support a Food Security Organization: Volunteer for, or donate to, an organization whose focus is the creation of a healthy food system. Here are a few of our favourites:
The Stop: http://www.thestop.org/donate
West End Food Coop: http://westendfood.coop/civicrm/contribute/transact?reset=1&id=5
- Share your knowledge and engage others: Teach others how to cook, grow, or eat healthily. Expose your loved-ones to these simple life pleasures. And of course, the best way to teach is to lead by example.
- Focus on Kids: Connecting the children in our lives to a healthy food system will help them to choose a healthy lifestyle as they grow. Bring them along to your local farmers market or CSA. Involve them in cooking and gardening. Model for the kids in your life that food, and a healthy food system, is important to you.
There are countless ways to get involved in the food movement. If you want to join The Cutting Veg Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program at one of our 4 locations in the GTA, check it out here. Enrich your quality of life, and make a difference. How are YOU inspired to take action?
Question Of The Day: Which actions do you take to build a healthy relationship with food?
Connect with Daniel: