A quick to prep but long to simmer perfectly flavored tomato Bolognese sauce
- 1 lb pastured beef or 2 cups cooked/rinsed adzuki beans/chickpeas, or 1 block of tempeh, ground
- 2 Tbsp ghee or olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 794g jar of crushed tomatoes or 10 roma tomatoes, pureed
- 1/2 cup of water
- 3 carrots, sliced in coins
- 1 cup sliced crimini mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp dried basil or 1/4 cup fresh, packed
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano or 2 Tbsp fresh
- Salt to taste
- In a large sauce pan heat your oil and saute onions and garlic for about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato puree, water meat or beans, carrots, and mushrooms. Cover and simmer for 35- 50 minutes, until carrots are tender and sauce has a slight sweet taste.
- Summer uncover until desired thickness is achieved.
- Add basil, oregano, and salt.
- Adjust flavours as needed.
- Serve hot or allow to cool, transfer to jars leaving room for expansion, and freeze for later use.
lf using beans, rinse and set aside.
If using beef, sautee until lightly browned over medium heat and set aside.
If using tempeh, process until fine ground in your food processor and set aside.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour