A seriously delicious and seriously ugly cake well worth making and definitely worth loving every bit.
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 serving chia paste (1 Tbsp ground chia + 1/4 cup warm water)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 3/4 cup chickpea or brown rice flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 100 grams bakers fare trade chocolate
- 2 cups cashews
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 20–30 drops bergamot essential oil or oil of choice
- 100 grams bakers chocolate
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- Berries for added garnish
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a blender or food processor, combine coconut oil, coconut sugar, maple syrup, vanilla extract and chia paste. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flours, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Over a double boiler on medium heat (or in a sauce pot on low heat that you are watching carefully), melt 100g of bakers chocolate.
- Pour your liquid contents from your blender, and the melted chocolate into the mixing bowl and combine with the flours until evenly mixed. Stir with a spatula until the dough fully comes together. Divide dough ball in half.
- Using your hands or a rolling pin, roll out into two circles of equal size. If you have a 10-12 inch springform pan or pie dish you will be using, roll the dough between two sheets of parchment to match the size of the base or use the base to cut dough to size.
- Transfer rolled dough on the parchment paper to a cookie sheet. Place in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until cooked through.
- While the cookies are baking, start on the cream filling. Combine all cream filling ingredients including cashews, coconut oil, coconut milk, maple syrup and essential oil in your blender or food processor and process until smooth. Process it a bit more to really get it creamy.
- Once cookies are ready, remove from oven and transfer to cooling rack. Once cool, place the first cookie that will be the bottom layer into your springform pan or pie dish. Pour half the cream filling over top and smooth out. Set in freezer for 20-30 minutes to harden slightly.
- Once the first layer of cream has hardened a little, add the second cookie and the remainder of the cream filling.
- Place in freezer for an hour.
- Once the cream has hardened, transfer cake to a cooling rack with a cookie sheet underneath to catch the drippings. Melt remaining 100 grams of bakers chocolate with 2 Tbsp coconut oil. Remove chilled layer cake from freezer and carefully pour the chocolate layer over top allowing it to pour out evenly and drip over the side.
- Return to fridge to harden chocolate.
- Cover in berries or desired decoration and serve chilled.
- Prep Time: 90 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Dessert