- 1/2 cup millet, soaked 2-4 hours
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, plus a little more for greasing the pie plate
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 small tomato, deseeded and chopped
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 4 free range farm fresh eggs
- 1/4 cup sheep milk cheddar, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (optional)
- sea salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a pot, cook millet in 1 cup of water – about 15-20 minutes until grain is soft and water is absorbed.
- Allow grains to cool slightly.
- In a pan, heat oil on medium heat and sauté onions, red pepper, mushrooms and tomato for about 5–10 mins, until soft.
- Add the spinach to the pan and mix until wilted.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the 4 eggs.
- Add the cooked veggies (and optional cheese, if using) to the egg mixture along with a pinch of sea salt.
- Gently press the cooled millet into a well-oiled pie plate to form the pastry crust.
- Pour the egg mixture in. You have the option here to get fancy and layer with tomatoes or something on top to make it extra pretty.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15–20 minutes until firm in the middle and grains on the sides are a slightly darker yellow, almost brown.
- Allow to cool, then cut into beautiful slices.