A simple vegan red onion soup recipe using only five ingredients.
- Peel and slice onions into thin, half moon strips.
- In your Dutch oven or stainless steel pot, warm your ghee or oil.
- Add onions and thyme, and salt and let cook down and caramelize uncovered. This can take anywhere from 45-60 minutes on medium/low heat. Keep your eye on it as different stovetops will require different settings. Stir occasionally to keep from burning.
- Once cooked down (and they reduce substantially), add your water/stock, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add more salt if needed to taste and serve hot.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 20 mins
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Real Food