All week we’ve been chatting about the danger-bayness of poisonous additives in our food, specifically, MSG. Why is that we love MSG so much? Putting aside the fact that it is an addictive chemical that leads us to binge on junk food, crave more of it, turn our bods into fat stroing machines and degenerate our brain, pancreas and the rest of our nervous system, it does tend to make our food tase better, according to some peeps.
So yeah, maybe McDonald's tastes good. Maybe that Campbell's cup of soup with a handful of Wheat Thins is an easy dinner, after all- everyone else is eating it right? How bad could it be?
The decision ultimately is our own. We can read the labels or we can chose not to. Perhaps we need to think up a better reason to knowingly poison ourselves than "It tastes good" or "It's easy". We definitely need a better reason for feeding it to the wee little ones with the developing brains.
We are forgetting about one very easy, and very healthy alternative: salt.
Now, I am not talking about that garbage white. Oh- no, no, no, no, no. I am taking about mineral rich and oh so delicious sea salt. That’s right- salt from the sea that is unprocessed, unbleached and that still has all the oceanic mineral rich virtues in tact.
There is no reason why we can’t simmer up some vegetables, garlic, onion, boil that down, add some sea salt and say hello to our very own home made vegetable stock. You can even use my recipe for chicken soup and choose to leave out the chicken if you want to role the veggie way. It really is that simple.
And lest we forget not only is sea salt delicious, in moderate amounts it is also health building, and you know how I heart the health builders!
How Sea Salt Builds our Health, Let Me Count A Few Ways (a.k.a the Health Benefits of Sea Salt):
- Sinus and Bronchial Congestion: A little nasal rinse or netti session with sea salt clears the clogs right up.
- Regulate Blood Pressure: That’s right lovers! Table salt and sea salt are very different! Sea salt has been shown to normalize blood pressure as it goes through the body scrubs at harmful sodium deposits and eliminates them from the bod.
- Better Sleep: Sea salt is taken with warm water before bedtime, it promotes a deeper and longer sleep that is both restful and refreshing. That’s the minerals baby!
- Water Retention: Sea salt does what regular salt doesn’t- actually helps our body balance electrolytes and thus helps release retained water.
- Building the immune system and aids healing: Sea salt provides the rich minerals directly to our cells to enhance resistance to infections and bacterial diseases. It also helps promote quicker healing and is a great soak for cuts/scrapes and circumcised fingers
- Alakaline Our Internal pH: The rich minerals eliminates unwanted sodium from the body, taking the acidity with it.
- Muscle Cramps: Yay for high doses of minerals to prevent achey breaky cramping.
Homemade Vegetable Stock
6 large carrots peeled and cut in 1/2 inch pieces
2 parsnips peeled and cut
1 onion cut in 4
1 bunch fresh dill
1 bunch fresh parsley
2 zucchinis sliced
1 whole garlic bulb- cloves peeled
8 celery stalks, sliced in 1 inch pieces
2 inches, sliced ginger root (anti-inflammatory properties and warming)
8 cups of water or until pot is full
Sea salt to taste
Note: Amount of vegetables depends on how much you can fit in the pot. You can use as much as will fit.
- Put all ingredients into a pot and cover with water. Put on the lid and turn on the stove
- Bring to a boil, lower heat to a simmer for at least 2 hours or up to 8. The longer you simmer the soup- the more concentrated the broth.
- Let it cool down and pour through strainer.
- Remove from strainer any vegetables you wish to add back in to your soup
- Freeze in individual ice cube trays or small jars
- MSG poison free vegetable broth at the ready!
Question Of The Day: What are some staple items you prefer to make from scratch rather than purchase?