A delicious and comforting mac and cheese that’s gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan.
For the pasta:
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
For the cheese sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1–2 Tbsp miso paste
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds or tahini
- 1 1/2 Tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 large or 2–3 small cloves of garlic
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- Pinch of dry mustard
- Pinch of turmeric
- Sea salt to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice squash in half lengthwise and de-seed.
- Generously rub open side of squash with olive oil and place open side down on parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Place in the oven to bake for 45 minutes.
- While squash is baking, make your cashew milk by blending the water and cashews together.
- Strain out the pulp using a nut milk bag or strainer (if you have a high powered blender skip this step).
- Put nut milk and remaining ingredients into the blender and blend on high until mixed (if you have a weaker blender, or are using a food processor, you may want to mince your garlic first).
- Place the sauce in a pot and heat on low just until sauce is warm.
- When squash is ready, using a fork, scrape out the insides into your bowl. Top with sauce and sprinkle with paprika or cayenne.