Did that heading draw you in? Come on now, be honest? I can't even begin to understand our collective desire to be a heap of skin and bones.
I passionately promote the concept that if we eat whole foods, our body gets into the swing of things and over time will start to use what we give it incredibly efficiently and we easily and effortlessly come to a place that is healthiest for us- on an individual basis. I like my booty and I intend to keep it that way. Since recovering from Crohn’s, I gained back about 15 pounds and my weight has remained the same for two years with only minor fluctuations. This indicates that what I am doing is just right for me.
Now that you have patiently sat through my preaching about how silly it is to try and starve ourselves and eat bad food, there are some amazing properties to specific whole foods that can help us shed a few. This is not by calorie deprivation, or over exertion or eating those lame-oid sugar-free, fat-free, pretend foods. What I am talking about is eating foods that help promote the efficiency of our metabolism. Please don’t go popping your ephedra tablets.
Foods can promote healthy weight in numerous ways- such as by giving the metabolism a boost, reducing cravings, and increasing feelings of satiety. One thing’s for sure- counting calories, carbs and fat grams fails 85% of the time. So here is my most amazing energy burning, metabolism optimizing, appetite satisfying morning delight.
First though, here is why it works so well!
- Maca: contains the essential nutrients necessary to boost thyroid function, helps to balance the components of the endocrine system, and promotes the use of glucose in the bloodstream for energy which means less gets stored as fat.
- Bee pollen: shown to have an ability to help in fat loss by increasing the rate of energy production in our cells
- Cayenne pepper: equalizes the metabolism and when taken regularly can boost metabolism by as much as 25%!
- Hemp seeds: Get full! Eat high fibre and high omega 3 fats to stabilize blood sugar and be hunger free until mid-afternoon. With less hunger you kick to the curb the oodles of mid-meal snacking with reduced cravings for starchy and sweet carbs.
- Dandelion root: has kidney and bladder supportive diuretic effects that helps reduce water weight. It may also help the liver regulate blood sugars to avoid hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), frequently an immediate cause of binge eating. An added bonus the increase in bile flow stimulated by dandelion helps to improve fat metabolism in the body.
- Caffeine: we’re talking very selective amounts here, may stimulate thermogenesis — one way your body generates heat and energy from digesting food.
- Raw Cacao: Magnesium is one of the most deficient nutrients in North Americans and the primary source, in nature, is found in cacao.Raw chocolate is known to diminish appetite.
Now if you blend all those super powers together do you know what you get? A beverage that could easily rival any coffee shop mocha-chiller-frappe-or-what-have-you but you will be full all morning long and it is healthy promoting! This is seriously my current obsession and here I am drinking it in all my morning beauty- dawning my ex boyfriends t-shirt (we dated in 2001).
So toss your scale out the window, drink up, feel great, take a walk and all your dreams will come true.
Meghan's Mocha Chillape
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: None
Ingredients (Serves 1)
- 2 Tbs raw cacao powder
- 5-8 organic coffee beans
- 2 tsp maca powder
- 1/2 tsp dandelion root powder (break open three capsules, use the tea bags or grind down your own harvest)
- 2 tsp bee pollen
- 1 Tbs hemp seeds
- dash of cayenne
- 1 cup of ice
- 1 cup of water
- stevia or raw honey to sweeten
Blend all ingredients, then enjoy!
Question of The Day: What is the most ridiculous diet you or someone you know has ever tried?