Hormones are like blueberry pancakes.
Like blueberry pancakes, hormones get made in one part of the body and their influence affects the whole body, um, like pancakes... When you make pancakes in the kitchen, your whole house is going to smell like pancakes and everyone in the house is going to want to eat your pancakes- especially if you use this recipe.
Pancakes can take over every craving you just like hormones can interfere in every thought, craving, metabolic function and mood.
So what exactly is a hormone? Well, a hormone is a wee little chemical, a protein, that can turn our world upside down when out of balance. Why do you think too much estrogen makes us weep like crazy ladies we know we're really not or too much testosterone makes the men behave like Tarzan?
Usually, when it comes to hormones, we think of the sex hormones. Did you know that insulin is also a hormone? As is adrenalin and cortisol? What about the thyroid hormones?
It takes only a squeeky small amount hormonal release to have rather far and wide sweeping effects inside the body. These range from metabolism to mood swings, hunger cravings to bow-chicka-bow-libido, immune system to inflammation. We try so hard to keep 'em all in balance and yet, we know so little about these bad boys/girls. Now, in 500 words or less, I am obviously not able to give you all the answers but I can give you a sweet little summary of common hormonal disruptors.
- High glycemic (high sugar) foods.
- Pharmaceuticals / Birth Control Pill
- Genetically Modified Foods
- Stress, lack of sleep, lack of exercise
- Pregnancy/Life stage change
- Toxic exposure through environmental chemicals and personal care products
- Exposure to BPA/plastics
While you consider it, dig in to these low-glycemic, highly delicious, cinnamonarrific, high fibre, antioxidant decorated, Not-Your-Aunt-Jemima's pancakes.
Blueberry Berry Great Pancakes
(for 1 serving)
1/4 cup brown rice flour
2 Tbs ground flax seeds
2 Tbs apple sauce
2 Tbs almond flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 egg or egg substitute
1 Tbs coconut oil
1 Tbs honey
1 tsp cinnamon
loads of blueberries
about 1/4 water or milk sub of choice- depends how thick you like you P-Cakes and how long you let the batter sit- the flax will absorb water as it sits
- Mix dry ingredients together in one bowl
- Mix wet ingredients in a second bowl
- Combine together and then stir in blueberries
- Heat a pan to high heat, melt some coconut oil in the pan
- Reduce heat to low/medium
- Spoon small dollops of batter in the pan
- Wait until you see the bubbles and then flip
- Note #1- these pancakes will take longer than normal pancakes to cook. Resist the urge to turn the heat up to high. Patience my child.
- Note #2- like the cascade reaction of hormones in the body, these pancakes may bring your neighbours running, long lost loves back into your life and you children/parents may suddenly show up unexpectedly. You've been warned!