A delicious, probiotic-rich condiment that is very easy to make
- 1 medium-sized cabbage (any colour)
- 1 Tbsp caraway seeds
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2/3 cup grated carrot (optional)
- 2–3 Tbsp chopped or grated ginger (optional)
- Remove large outer leaves from cabbage and set them aside.
- Core and shred cabbage finely.
- In a large bowl, mix cabbage with caraway seeds, sea salt and optional ginger and carrots.
- Massage with your hands (or pound with a wooden mallet or tamper) for about ten minutes. Juices will be released.
- Place into a wide mouth Mason jar and pound down until juices come up and cover the cabbage. Leave about 2 inches of space at the top.
- Carefully place whole cabbage leaves overtop (inside the jar) to ensure everything is submerged completely. Seal jar firmly.
- Keep at room temperature for about 3 days and then transfer to your fridge.
- It may be eaten right away but will improve with time.
- Category: Condiments