They don't call them superfoods for nothing. They really are amazing. The coconuts and the aloe, the goji and the spirulina. Now I'll be the first to admit that I am not ready to give up my stove, exclusively in favour of consuming every super-powered meals out of my VitaMix. Not there yet, and may never be. For this reason, I do my best to integrate as many and as much super-food power into my everyday eating. Grinding and sprinkling goes a long way for easy integration.
Wow, was this a delicious creation of two nutritionists and two big Sunday morning appetites!
We began with a loaf of incredible hulk bread (made with sprouted quinoa and laced with spirulina), that we sliced just thick enough.
These super-powered French toast toppings included fresh grated coconut, ground goji berries, ground flaxmeal and you can't have French toast without syrup...
And so I mixed up my special syrup mix (more on that soon!).
Of course I had made fresh coconut milk to accompany our chai spiced tea and isn't that a perfect made from scratch Sunday breakfast? Total time, I'll have you know, was under thirty minutes (without the baking of the bread- that was done in advance).
There produced the ultimate superfood Sunday morning French toast breakfast. This French toast was so super powered that if it had wings, it would have surely flown away. Instead, after eating, we flew (or walked briskly) down to my fave place to be in all of Toronto- by the lake.
Right, back to the French toast.
4 slices of Incredible Hulk Bread (or bread of your choosing)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg (preferably freshly grated)
pinch of clove
pinch of allspice
coconut oil for cooking
Optional super-powered accoutrements: ground goji, ground flax, chia, grated coconut (fresh or dried), cacao nibs. Check out this site for super foods!
- Slice bread to desired thickness
- Mix together eggs with spices
- Place bread into bowl with eggs and allow to sit for a few moments a piece to soak up the eggs
- Meanwhile, heat a skillet and add coconut oil
- Depending on the size of your skillet, you might be able to cook all the pieces at once.
- Cook on medium heat and once underside of bread is dry, flip it over. If you have leftover egg in the bowl, simply pour it over the bread while it is in the pan.
- Transfer to a plate, serve with all the add ons you desire and perhaps some fresh sliced fruit or a little salad on the side.