I have nice skin.
No, no, no. Now don't go saying how lucky I am. I am pretty sure it all comes down to a clean and balanced diet, lots of water, good fats, no dairy or sugar, lungsful of fresh air, a lack of toxic product pile-up and no glunky chunky make-up. Yep- I have to say it has nothing to do with luck. No matter what the reason, it's still fun, at 30, to be asked for ID at the liquor store (when I'm buying vodka to make medicinal tinctures of course!)
I was recently interviewed for another website about my upcoming Natural Body Care Workshop and I know you are wanting me to publish and share the tutorial and recipes we play with in that workshop, and I will soon. In the meantime, however, I would share with you my favourite beauty product, aside from coconut oil.
See, in my workshop we play around with tons of fun food products, essential oils and herbs, but when it all comes down to it, I am a simple girl and I like the simple things in life- particularly the single ingredient beauty products that have a plethora or uses. That is why I heart jojoba oil so very much.
Jajoba (pronounced ha-HO-ba) is a resin that comes from the seed of the jojoba tree. It is mostly clear, totally odourless and isn't an oil at all. It's a wax and the closest product out there to what actually comes out of the pores of our skin. That is why, are you ready for this, jojoba makes the very best cleanser around! Yes, yes, yes! I clean my face with oil. Dab a little on a damp cloth or sea sponge and wipe away. No need even to rinse!
The benefits to jojoba oil my clean and clear skin friends are many:
- Moisturization! Jojoba oil doesn’t evaporate like water based moisturizers will but its also not all oil slick across the forehead either
- It's a very stable oil so you won't get rancid nastyness if you use jojoba on a hot day or lose antioxidants. This also lends to its long shelf-life
- Spreads well and absorbs well.
Now, jojoba can get expensive but you know what? Creams and powders and cleansers and masks and foundation and bla bla bla are way more expensive so just use this one and you are rocking and rolling. Here are my favouritalicious uses:
- Moisturizer: For your face or body. 5-6 drops goes a long way and you could always blend with a little coconut or olive oil if you like for the body.
- Make-up remover: Not an eye irritant, nor allergenic, you can use it to remove eye makeup. And if you go the way of more make-up than just mascara (I never really got into the make-up thing) it also easily removes foundation, blush, and lipstick.
- Lip balm: A few drops on my finger and apply to my lips.
- Hair conditioner: Mix a few drops of jojoba oil into your current conditioner or use it on its own. You can also add it to damp hair before drying for some au-naturelle de-frizzing and shine boosting.
- Massage oil: need I say more?