Wasn’t I just as excited as could be when I got the email from the fine producers over at the Marilyn Denis show asking if I would come in and make some healthy treats. Healthy treats are kind of my speciality.
We threw a few ideas around and settled on my top two lovers:
Yes! Kale chips and raw chocolate on mainstream, national television. I Love it! I feel like it’s a giant step in the right direction for all of us nutritionistas and honourary nutritionistas. We have become a little less weird to our family and friends. So when they say to us- “Ew, what’s that crunchy green sh#t you’re eating”. We can say, “Kale chips of course, didn’t you see them on TV? Everyone’s loving them!”
What I also loved about the segment I did for Marilyn was that I got to bring with me some of my fave products from some of my fave brands.
1 bunch of kale
2 Tbs olive oil
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 200
- Wash kale thoroughly and let dry
- Tear kale away from stem. Each kale leaf should be torn into about 6 or eight pieces
- Place kale, salt, olive oil and lemon into a bowl and mix together with your hands, gently massaging the kale with the oil, lemon and salt
- Lay kale out on a cookie sheet or pizza pan
- Place in oven and set timer for 30 minutes
- At 30 minutes, remove from oven and gently unstuck kale from pan if it has stuck and replace for another 10-15 minutes until kale is dry and crispy
- Allow to cool. Can store in fridge for up to a week
Chocolate Dipping Sauce
1/3 cup raw cacao powder
¼ cup coconut oil
2 Tbs raw honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Blend together or melt together over low heat using a double boiler method (large pot with water, smaller pot inside the larger pot for melting chocolate- keeping direct heat away from pot with chocolate)
Mix in your cluster goodies of choice! Try,
1/4 cup each of:
- pumpkin seeds
- sunflower seeds
- slivered almonds
Dust with a sprinkling of sea salt if you like.
- Stir cluster ingredients into chocolate and with a spoon, dollop it onto a parchment lined cookie sheet and place in freezer until hard.
- Store in freezer and serve right after removing.
Now, if you’re up for some serious kale chip adventures- here you go!
- Kale Chips: Lemon and Sea Salt
- Kale Chips: Spicy Thai Ginger
- Kale Chips: Macro Japan
- Kale Chips: Nacho Cheesless
- Kale Chips: Sour Cream & Onion Free
- Kale Chips: Chocolate Covered Kale Chips
- Kale Chips: Dijon Balsamic
- Dill Pickle Flavour