Welcome to the second day of the Green Smoothie Cleanse. The coolest part about this cleanse being just three days is that come lunch time, you are more than half way through. Piece of... um... blended kale right? If you are participating in the cleanse, you have likely introduced a morning bevvie of lemon juice and cayenne.
One of the cleanse participants wrote in to me to tell me that she is loving it all- but this hot and sour start to the day. Whether I am cleansing or not, this is part of my morning routine and I highly recommend it. Why? Because it is sooooo good for your body- specifically the digestive system and circulatory system.
And even though I know how good it is for me... I still struggle every single morning. It usually looks something like this:
And no, I didn't go and cut all my hair off. This is what I went through twice a day when I was going through my intensive acupuncture treatmens to cure my Crohn's Disease. Part of the healing program was drinking Chinese herb tea twice daily. It may have been the most vile thing I have ever had to drink- but knowing it was helping me to get better- made it tolerable... barely.
And now I go through this with the lemon/cayenne water for that reason- because I know it is so good for me. You want specific reasons? Here they are:
- Helps to alkaline the body and disease is less able to develop in an alkaline environment
- On an empty stomach it helps flush the liver and gallbladder (releasing bile- the body's natural laxative)
- Stimulates the body to produce digestive juices that gets the system ready for food digestion
- Can assist with weight reduction by cleansing the liver as a toxic liver can not efficiently metabolize fat.
- Excellent source of Vitamin C to keep the immune system strong, the adrenal glands functioning, and increases the absorption of iron into the body
- High in potassium and vitamin B1 too.
- The calcium in lemon supplies bones, teeth and the nervous system
with basic nourishment.
- Lemon also phosphorus and helps to digest proteins.
- Cayenne can rebuild the tissue in the stomach and increase the peristaltic action in the intestines- this means it helps you go.
- Aids in assimilation, meaning it helps us to absorb the nutrients from our food (or in this case the goodness from lemons)
- Helps the body to create hydrochloric acid, which is so necessary for good digestion and assimilation, especially of proteins.
- Said to be unequal for its ability to boost circulation and increase heart action
- Can increase peripheral circulation and stimulates organ secretion, helping to increase the rate of delivery and action of nutrients in the body.
- Can enhance cardiovascular performance while actually lowering blood pressure
- Cayenne is a counter-irritant; it brings blood to the surface and allows the toxins to be taken away.
Convinced yet? See... totally worth the wincing.
Lemon/Cayenne Wake-Up Call
1 quart/litre of warm water (I use regular water with just enough boiling water to make it warm)
1/2 lemon juiced
1/8 up to as much cayenne as you can handle
pinch of stevia (optional- will help cut the spicyness without affecting blood sugar level)
Mix and chug that goodness back!
Note: It often helps to have someone else take photos of the ridiculous faces you will surely make.