When you write a blog post everyday for four years, you come up with some pretty delicious and crafty recipes (if I do say so myself). That being said, sometimes I come across one of my old recipes and can't, for the life of me, remember whether or not I ever made the thing again! I know after every successful recipe I have tested, I think to myself "must make this again soon"- but between playing on my retreats, writing a book, and running my CNE program, I end up making the same tried and trusted dishes.
I have vowed that since I am making an effort to get cooking more (that's really what makes my little heart sing), I will relive some of my fave posted recipes and try them out once again. They are all so delicious- after all or they wouldn't have made the blog cut if they weren't.
The other night was our last class for this semester's Culinary Nutrition Expert program, the theme being "Mexican Fiesta". This class might just go down as one of my (and my students') most favourite class of the bunch, particularly thanks to my Spicy Sweet Potato + Refried Bean Burrito recipe. I am not lying to you when I say this recipe is off the hook. So delicious, filling and healthful- the best of all worlds. I was reminded about how much I love this dish and decided it deserved a repost. There are several components to this dish but they aren't at all complicated, and it is well worth your efforts.
I want to know: Have you made my Sweet Potato + Refried Bean Burrito? Share your thoughts/comments below!
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 tsp coriander, ground
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch of cayenne
- ½ cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups Black Beans
- 1 cup sweet potato, coarsely chopped
- 6-8 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ¼ cup water, if needed
- 1 tsp sea salt or more to taste
- 1 red pepper, julienned
- 1 avocado sliced
- ½ cup lightly packed cilantro leaves
- 2-4 cups, shredded lettuce
- 2 cups sweet corn, cooked
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bunch finely chopped cilantro
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup cashews, soaked
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds, soaked
- ¼ cup red pepper, chopped
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs cider vinegar
- ½ cup water
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- Heat oil on medium heat in large skillet or medium sized pot and add cumin, corriander and cayenne. Cook until fragrant (but not burning).
- Add garlic and cayenne and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in red onion, black beans, sweet potato and tomato and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add small amounts of water if beans start to stick.
- Sea salt and additional cayenne to taste.
- Once sweet potato has softened, removed from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Using a potato masher, mash until desired consistency is achieved.
- Steam corn tortilla for 2-3 minutes just until softened.
- Dollop about ¼ of Refried Bean filling into centre of tortilla, spreading it vertically through the middle.
- Add additional optional toppings including lettuce, avocado, red pepper, and cilantro.
- Option to add corn salsa inside or layer over top.
- Carefully wrap in one end, and then both side, leaving opening on top.
- If eating salsa on top, layer it across the top of the rolled burrito and add another dollop of cashew sour cream.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Place in fridge to let flavours mix for about 1 hr before serving.
- Place all ingredients in blender or food processor. Process until smooth.