Oh that pesky little thing we've been hearing so much about, that thing we call radiation? Well, whether media is talking or not, whether a reactor has blown up or not, it is seeping and it is not new. Radiation is everywhere- from phones and TVs and sunshine (obviously worse with recurring burns in the same spots). Do you keep a clock by your bed and have an outlet behind your bed? Radiation, lovers. Radiation.
When I was at the Longevity Conference a couple weeks ago, peeps were talking about- as they are far more concerned about the repercussions of a potential nuclear explosion on the West Coast than we seem to be in Toronto. Doesn't matter where you are, this my lovers is one sweet planet and nothing happens in isolation.
What is the best way to protect ourselves from the damage of radiation? Eating from the sea! Sea veggies, spirulina, marine phyoplankton, chlorella, irish moss... You get the idea. We need to help clear out that radiation and at the same time, get in the right amount of iodine to protect our sweet little thyroids.
You know I was having the time of my life at the conference with all the brand shiny new health info. I was totes picking up what all those health experts were putting down. And my absolute favourlicious part was the cooking demos- that is how I was inspired to make these dulse and kelp chips.
Move over kale! Kelp is taking over!!!
Raw Solla (Solla Eiriks) is the most adorable raw food chef and hottest grandmother you will ever meet. Do you know her yet? You can click here to get a free recipe book from her! Be sure to check her on Facebook!
Raw Solla presented a variation of these kelp chips at the conference and they were amazing! Now, I do my best, like many of you, probably, to eat sea veggies. The tricky bit with them is that they usually taste a lot like the sea. Blech! Not so into that. These chips, however... wowzers- they were gone in no time!
In short, we love sea veggies because they:
- help correct mineral deficiencies.
- protective food which can kind of help, heal and repair everything! That includes: overcoming poor digestion, preventing and overcoming goiter , and rebuilding the proper function of all glands (including thyroid).
- aid in brain development.
- helps prevent osteoporosis as they are so loaded in the full sepctrum of minerals not just the crappy white chalk people eat thinking it's a good calcium supplement for their bones.
- helps to detox
- helps to increase metabolism
- seaweed bath helps maintain hormone balance for a more youthful body.
So learn to love it and I am here to help! As a side note, I would highly recommend avoiding eating/drinking anything grown in or around Japan these days- that includes freshly harvested green tea and sea veggies. There is no such thing as safe levels of stontium i-90, cesium-137, xenon 133, tritium etc.
Spicy Horseradish Dulse and Kelp Chips
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 tsp sea salt
- Soak sea veg for 10-15 minutes until soft.
- In a blender or food processor, blend all sauce ingredients together. Transfer to a bowl.
- If using kelp, you should be able to pull the seaweed out piece by piece and dip in the bowl to coat with sauce. If using dulse and it's a little mushy or hard to separate pieces, transfer to a strainer to allow some water to drain out, and then pour sauce in and mix thoroughly
- Lay sea weed out on dehydrator tray and dry at 115 for 8-12 hours until crisp. If you don't have a dehydrator, lay it on a cookie sheet lined with parchment and place in oven at it's lowest setting with the door slightly open to allow moisture out.
Optional Tip: The soak water from the seaweed is going to be amazingly nutrient rich. You may wish to use this as your water in your sauce. Do it! Another option is to use this water to water you plants or your pet :)