Around here, the next couple of weeks are all about helping to make your holidays healthier and more delicious than you ever thought possible!
Eggnog is a typical holiday beverage comprised mainly of milk or cream, eggs and sugar -- and then often a healthy dollop of booze. I always thought eggnog was gross, but it recently became even more barftastic when I heard it referred to as... wait for it... "Egg Milk Punch." Eeeeewww! Right?
I'm sorry, but "egg milk punch" brings to mind images of oozeyness that just don't tickle my tastebuds.
What we usually love about egg nog isn't even the egg bit or the nog bit, but the creamy warmth, combined with the winter warming spices of cinnamon and nutmeg.
My first set of experimentations was in exploring all sorts of new and awesome nut and seed milk variations which inspired this cheap and cheerful Milk It guide.
One of the recipes in that guide is my chai oat milk, which has become the base of so many amazing winter shakes, including my brand shiny new winter staple. Its December name is Almond Cinnamon Holiday Nog, and the rest of the year we're going to call it Almond Cinnamon Date Smoothie.
Yield: 4 cups
- 1 cup almonds
- 4 cups water
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- ½ tsp grated nutmeg
- honey or dates to sweeten
- Place all ingredients into your blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour through fine mesh strainer or nut sack.
- Store in mason jar for 3-4 days.
- Can be heated over stove for a warm delight!
Yield: ½ cup
- 1 cup dry almonds
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- pinch of sea salt
- Place all ingredients into your Blendtec Twister and blend on high while turning the twister counter-clockwise. This will heat up quite quickly, so you may need to stop part way, clean down the sides and let it cool a little.
- Twist until smooth.
- Store in an airtight container in your fridge for 2 weeks.
- You can also do this in your food processor, but I have to say, I have never gotten a consistency quite so smooth any other way.
- 1 cup Morning Chai Oat Milk from Milk It OR Chai Almond Milk (see below)
- 1 tbsp almond butter (or make your own in the Blendtec Twister, see below)
- 2 medjool dates
- 1 scoop Vanilla Sunwarrior protein powder
- 1 tsp organic fair trade coffee or 6-7 coffee beans
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp maca (optional)
- 4 ice cubes
- Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth and frothy.
PLEASE SHARE YOUR BEST HEALTHY HOLIDAY RECIPE CREATIONS WITH ME BELOW OR OVER ON INSTAGRAM WITH #UNDIET!