If you have ever eaten at a raw restaurant and ordered a sandwich, is was likely served to you on this bread. It's not overly exciting to look at but bow chica bow does it pack an awesome flavour.
What I'm talking about here is Raw Onion Bread. I'll be the first to pass on anything that includes raw onion- but somehow, this goodness cooks, though at a low temperature, for long enough that the onions become sweet and mild. Be prepared though, you may have to don the old onion goggles to get this one prepped and ready.
Onions rock my world this time of year.
- Very good source of vitamin C, B6, biotin, chromium, calcium and dietary fibre.
- Like garlic, onions also have the enzyme alliinase, which is released when an onion is cut or crushed and it causes your eyes to water.
- Contain flavonoids, compounds that act as antioxidants, have a direct antitumor effect and have immune-enhancing properties.
- The onion is the richest dietary source of quercitin, nature's anti-histamine and a potent antioxidant specifically linked to inhibiting human stomach cancer. It's also an anti-inflammatory, antibiotic, antiviral, thought to have diverse anti-cancer powers. Quercitin is also a sedative.
- Onions contain a variety of organic sulphur compounds that aid in detoxing
- Super source of Vitamin C, excellent at detoxifying the body and is effective in removing lead, arsenic and cadmium. So increasing consumption of onions can help the body to get rid of these harmful metals.
- Onions have also been shown to have a significant blood sugar-lowering action, even comparable to some prescription drugs.
- Onions have potent antibacterial activity, destroying many disease-causing pathogens, including E. coli and salmonella.
Raw Onion Power Bread
2 1/2 pounds (or about 5 large) onions.
1/2 cup sunflower seeds, ground
1 cup flax seeds, ground
1/2 cup chia seeds, ground
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup tamari
1 tsp maca (optional)
1/4 fresh basil (or 2 Tbs dried)
1 Tbs dried oregano
1 tsp ground coriander
- Process ingredients together until smooth
- Spread evenly on dehydrator teflex sheet or over parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Dehydrate at 115 for 6-8 hours until try but still pliable. If using an oven, set oven to it's lowest temperature and dehydrate with the oven door slightly open. Times will vary depending on your oven but could be from 4-6 hours.
- Enjoy as you would any regular bread.