I've been known to work a lot. Yes. It does happen sometimes. And sometimes I will be working all morning, hop out for a little pre-lunch bike ride and come home absolutely famished. I am talking the kind of famished that doesn't want a smoothie but famished for a chewable meal.
This, however, doesn't mean that I can't still super-power it up. As if I am going to crack open a can of tuna, dollop in a heap load of the grossest food ever (mayonnaise), throw that on bread and call that lunch. As if!, I say. But you know what? Sometimes I do open up a can of fish, usually salmon, always a responsible brand and never, ever with any form of mayonnaise, vegan or otherwise. I do still like it creamy and that is where the creativity and healthy superfoods comes in to play.
I make a wrap. I use a sprouted tortilla or my flax tortilla. I throw some veggies in the steamer (in this case I had some okra kicking around) mix in with some raw and whip up a batch of my mayo-free superfood studded salmon salad, complete with the delightfully creaminess-enhancing chia seeds.
I never can get enough chia seeds into my life. These omega 3 and antioxidant rich goodies do more than dress that old chia pet sitting in your window. Here are some tips for how to enjoy:
• Sprinkle on salads, steamed veggies
• Blend into soups and smoothies to thicken
• Blend with cacao, honey, fruit of choice to make a creamy pudding
• Sprinkle on cereals
• Add to crackers, bread, baking, cookies, pancake recipes- whole or ground
• Mix in to applesauce as an effective laxative
And how about mixing them in to your favourite egg, salmon, sweet potato, tempeh or tofu salad?
Heck-No-Mayo Salmon Salad
1 can salmon, drained but keep the bones in! (Hello calcium. Fancy meeting you here.)
1 stalk of celery
1 Tbs Olive or flax oil
1 Tbs lemon juice
1 Tbs chia seeds
sea salt/pepper to taste
- Throw the carrot, celery, oil, lemon and chia into a food processor or high powered blender and blend until mostly smooth but still a little chunky
- Add in the full can of salmon, with bones and blend together until even consistency is achieved.
- Depending on your preference, you may want it completely smooth. Your call.