It’s Organic Sex Week here at Making Love In The Kitchen. All you need to know about making your sex life as whole and healthy, or better said- making sure everything you put in your body is whole and healthy!
Before I get into the discussion of wise choices when it comes to personal lubricants and my easy recipe to make your own safe and edible variety, it is first my duty, as a natural health cheer-leader to offer tips on how you can become a super-powered self-lubricating woman.
Just like it’s better for our body to use its own enzymes to digest food, it’s own white blood cells to heal infection, it is also better for our body to be balanced out enough to make it’s own lube. A woman who can lube herself up in the moment of passion, is one sign of a healthy woman.
Hormonal changes, like menopause, going on or off birth control, emotional or physical trauma and many medications would alter this mechanism, but other things like poor diet, stress, dehydration would also do it too.
So here are my tips on becoming a super-powered self-lubricating woman:
- Drink water. Lots.
- Eat foods high in great fats. Lots. These are things like quality olive oil, avocados, olives, coconut and coconut products, cold water fish and fresh nuts and seeds.
- Eat foods that break down the bad estrogens. These are the cruciferous family of vegetables like broccoli, kale, collards, chard, cabbage, cauliflower and Brussel sprouts.
- Avoid foods/substances that increase estrogens and xeno-estrogens like drinks in plastic bottles and loads of soy.
- Get yourself off that toxic birth control pill!
- Avoid dehydrating substances like coffee, alcohol, high meat diets, refined grains, and sugar.
- Get the bowels moving. This is important to detox the body, and get rid of excess estrogens.
- Get a boost with some stimulating herbs like ginger, maca, cinnamon, and cayenne (more about those on Friday)
Other things to keep in mind when looking for optimal sexy-time lubrication methods is regular moderate exercise which keeps all fluids moving and refreshing throughout the whole bod and also, and this is key, practice breathing. I’m talking calm breathing like meditation. To get the juices flowing, you’ve got to be present in the moment, not thinking about your laundry, presentation or term paper.
So, now that I’ve given you the dryness prevention protocol, let’s get on to the slip and slide.
According to Loveologist Wendy Strgar “Most personal lubricants’ petrochemical and preservative bases are irritating to sensitive tissues (not to mention potentially carcinogenic). To boot, several large studies have demonstrated that the three leading personal-lubricant brands essentially kill sperm viability, with zero motility after 30 minutes of exposure. And last month, a study showed these same top selling products may damage rectal and vaginal tissue, thereby increasing vulnerability to a number of sexually transmitted infections, including chlamydia and gonorrhea”.
So let’s avoid these and just grab a jar of coconut oil. Pure, cold pressed, extra virgin (oh, irony), makes for the best all natural lube out there. Its inherent anti- microbial, anti-fungal, anti-viral properties make it the perfect thing to get all up in there. Those good fats actually get absorbed too, so we even get some of the good fat benefits. It is most often solid at room temperature, liquifies at body temperature. I will warn though, that like all oil based lubricants, you do not want to use this one with latex.
If you are looking for a latex friendly, water based lubricant, my best recommendation is to have a look these water based options.
Question Of The Day: Aside from lubing up, what is your fave use for coconut oil?