Nothing says summer like biting into a juicy, sweet, messy mess of peach greatness. Though I was once opposed to the fur, I have learned to embrace it, bite through, and squish on in to the delectable awesomeness of this juicy summer treat.
What you may not have realized is that peaches come by their specialness naturally, as a member of the rose family, and that there are over 700 varieties of peaches grown. There's an even better reason to enjoy peaches in the sunshine, though: They are rich in super health-promoting flavonoid poly phenolic antioxidants such as lutein, zea-xanthin and ß-cryptoxanthin. Go on -- say those five times fast!
These compounds help scavenge the bad guys, the free radicals and reactive oxygen species (ROS) that play a role in aging us to look like dried up old raisins. I don't know about you, but I want to rock it like a plump peach, not a withered one (preferably without so much fuzz, but so it goes).
The best way to enjoy a peach is in a swimsuit before diving into a fresh lake, but second best is in this most awesome, decadent-tasting, guilt-free, raw peach cream pie.
That's right, I said Raw Peach Cream Pie!
This delight is so easy to make, and in the summer months when the kitchen can get steamy, the no-bake benefits help you to keep it cool as a cucumber... or raw peach cream pie.
Dig in, my friends. Dig in.
- ½ cup almonds, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded dried coconut
- 1 cup medjool dates, pits removed
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked 2-3 hours
- ¾ cups honey or other sweetener of choice
- 1 whole lemon, peeled and deseeded
- ½ cup coconut cream (cream from top of coconut milk can)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbs coconut oil
- ¼ cup water
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1½ cups fresh, ripe peaches
- 2 peaches, sliced
- In a food processor, process nuts together with dates, coconut, coconut oil and sea salt. You may need to scrape down the sides. Process just until sticky but not too fine.
- Using a pie dish, press the crust mixture into the dish, making sure to create an even thickness and go up the sides of the dish as well. Set aside.
- Drain and rinse cashews.
- In a high powered blender, blend together cashews, sweetener, lemons, coconut cream, vanilla, coconut oil, water, sea salt and peaches. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the mixture into crust and place in freezer to set. After 20 minutes, remove and layer peaches starting at the outside and going around clockwise. Return to freezer for additional 35 minutes or until firm.
- Remove from freezer 10 minutes before serving.
Looking for more raw recipe inspiration?
Looking for a more traditional peach pie?
Check out this amazing peach pie using a gluten-free pie crust.