A simple baked vegan, gluten-free and dairy-free macaroni and cheese.
Best Creamy UnCheese Sauce Ever
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 1/3 cup
- nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp yellow mustard powder or ground seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp teaspoons sea salt
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups water
The Rest Of The Mix
- 1 16 oz package of gluten-free macaroni noodles (I used the Tinkyada brand brown rice elbows)
- 1 14oz package sprouted firm tofu or 2 chicken breasts (first browned in a pan)
- 2 cups broccoli florets, bite size
- 2 cups cauliflower florets, bite size
- Preheat oven to 350F.*
- Place all UnCheese sauce ingredients into your food processor or high speed blender and mix until perfectly smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Cook noodles as directed on package.
- Wrap tofu in clean cloth and place books or plates on top to press out extra liquid and allow tofu to become more firm. If using chicken*, slice into bite size pieces and lightly brown and set aside.
- Lightly steam broccoli and cauliflower just until fork tender.
- Once tofu is well pressed, cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Once pasta is ready, in a large mixing bowl, mix together pasta, broccoli, cauliflower, tofu/chicken and cream sauce.
- Transfer the mix into an oven-safe casserole dish or glass pyrex and bake uncovered for 30 minutes*.
- Remove from oven and serve.
* The baking step is optional. If you are omitting the baking, please ensure your chicken is cooked through before serving. If using tofu, lightly sauté before mixing into pasta.