I won a contest! And this is very exciting as I never win anything. No, I didn't win first place, but a close second... or maybe third. Either way, I was up there! I was a runner up in a recipe contest for Crazy Sexy Life. The contest was to submit a recipe that was ideally raw, vegan and gluten-free. Uh hello? This is my world. And what recipe won?
My Drool Worthy Balls of course. I was one of two runners up, which suits me just fine. The recipe I sent in was an adaptation of my original ball recipe, and of course I gave it a more sophisticated name- calling them Cocoa Mint Truffles.
Here are my balls among the two other winners over at CSL.
The modification to the recipe was adding in a couple drops of Young Living's Peppermint essential oil (member number 1062980 if you want to order some). Though it is a minor modification, it totally changes the whole feeling around these balls. It makes them a little sophisticated, a little more after dinner mint like, and a whole lot of delicious.
Here is the revised recipe with the added mint and this time rolled in cocoa instead of coconut.
- 1 cup raw walnuts, unsoaked
- ½ cup almonds, unsoaked
- ½ tsp salt
- 15 pitted dates, unsoaked
- ¼ cup raisins or dried cranberries
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 Tbs agave
- 2 Tbs water
- 2 drops Peppermint Essential Oil (make sure its food grade- I like Young Living)1/2 cup extra cocoa powder
- Place the nuts & salt in a food processor fitted with the S-blade and process until finely ground.
- Add the dates, cocoa powder, agave, peppermint and vanilla process until the mixture starts to stick together. Add water as needed & process briefly.
- Using about 1 Tbs of mixture, roll into balls.
- Sprinkle coconut or extra cocoa out onto a plate or cookie sheet and roll balls through, giving them a light dusting.
- Keep refrigerated until serving, or even better- eat them right out of the freezer.