Josh and I are having so much fun exploring out here on the West Coast that lately, simple suppers have been the name of the game.
This simple supper idea is a guaranteed winner. When we filmed this episode, we shot this segment as the first of the day and the rest of the morning I was counting down until I could devour this creation on our lunch break.
What I love so much about this recipe creation is that it is so modifiable.
This recipe is planti-fully delicious and can easily be modified if you choose to add a little lean protein in place of the beans. Sweet potatoes are considered 'safe' carbs on the paleo plan so this is truly a one-size-will-fit-everyone-in-the-family recipe.
I also love, for those of us who have the picky eaters in our home, that this recipe invites us to customize our very own potato, choosing our own toppings and sauces.
Ready to get cooking?
- 4 organic sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or ghee
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, sambal olek or 1 tsp of your favourite hot sauce
- 1 can, organic cooked and drained beans of choice or 1 pound lean free-run organic protein of choice
- 6 cups greens, trimmed and sliced into ribbons
- Juice of ¼ lemon
- Sea salt to taste
- Hemp seeds – protein bonus
- Toasted sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- Fresh sprouts
- Tahini cream dressing
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Scrub the sweet potatoes and prick them in a few places with a fork.
- Place them on a baking sheet and bake until soft all the way through, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- While sweet potato is baking, heat olive oil on a medium pan and add the onion and garlic. Cook until soft.
- Add the beans and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in your greens (the heat will wilt them). Add your lemon juice, red pepper flakes and sea salt to taste.
- Remove sweet potatoes from oven. To serve, slice each sweet potato through the middle, top with beans + greens mix, drizzle with dressing and add any of your extras.
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 1 clove garlic
- water as needed
- Blend until smooth.
WHAT ARE YOUR FAVOURITE SIMPLE SUPPER IDEAS? POST YOUR INSPIRATION, RECIPES OR LINKS BELOW!
Special thanks to our favourite farmers at Fresh City Farms for providing all of the organic produce for this episode.