My dad and I have this ongoing thing about peach pie. I have no idea how it started or where it came from but we put on our best down home southern accents (very lame considering we were both born and raised in the Canadian prairies) and praise our love of peach pie. It goes like this:
Dad: “Heeeeeey Meg. Do you loooooove peach pah?”
Me: “Oh daddaaay, you know that I loooove my good’ole peach pah”.
Dad: “I gotta get me somma dat peach pah”.
Me: “Notta worry, ma man. I’m gonna make some sweeeeet as sweet can be peach pah”.
Dad: “Good thing ’cause I looooooove peach pah”.
The thing about these silly shenanigan is that I am pretty sure, up until I whipped up this delight, I had never had peach pie before in my life. What I did know is that around the end of August everyone and their mother’s lover were emailing me asking for a gluten-free vegan pie crust recipe. Over the past weekend at the veg fair, I was a last minute sit-in for a panel discussion on vegan baking and one of the questions was about our greatest baking achievement.
This my pie lovers, is my greatest baking achievement. This is a gluten free vegan pie recipe that uses only whole, natural goodies. None of that grossitating vegan shortening or margarine. No sirrreee. And since I made it, you can bet that it easy to follow. And you can bet that since I made it, I also had 106 other things going on in the kitchen.
Yep- I was making all kinds of jams while simultaneously creating a pie. Keep in mind that this peach pie recipe can be adapted for any kind of pie you like. But come on now, who doesn’t Loooooove Peach Pah!
5 cups fresh peaches (or fruit of choice) sliced thinly.
3 Tbs arrowroot starch
pinch of sea salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbs sucanat
- Combine dry ingredients until well mixed
- Combine all ingredients together and set aside.
The Gluten-Free Vegan Pie Crust Miracle
2 cups gluten-free flour of choice (I used 1 cup of brown rice, 1/2 cup sorghum and 1/2 cup chickpea)
2 tsp guar gum (could also use xanthan if you have it)
pinch of sea salt
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup grapeseed oil
2 Tbs sucanat (or preferred natural sugar)
1/2 cup icy cold water
4 tsp cider vinegar
- Lightly oil a 10 inch pie pan
- In a bowl, combine you flour blend, guar gum, sea salt and sugar choice
- In a small pot, melt coconut oil just until liquid.
- Add liquid coconut oil to cold water with cider vinegar and grapeseed oil, stirring to combine well
- Pour oil mixture into dry ingredients and get on in there with your hands until well mixed (but let’s not over-do it here). Dough will be a little moist.
- Divide dough in half and keep one half covered with a cloth (to keep it from drying out)
- Roll out the other half between two sheets of parchment.
- Carefully place the dough in the pie plate. And I mean carefully. This stuff might tear a little but it’s the underside so no one will see it anyway.
- Fill crust covered pie plate with peach/fruit mixture
- Roll out the second ball of dough and cover the pie
- Use your artful skills to pinch the edges how you like them.
- Make those fun little slits in the top of your pie to let the steam out.
- Chill pie in the freezer for 30 mins. (I don’t know why but one of the recipes that inspired this one suggested it)
- Pre-heat oven to 350
- Bake the pie in the oven for about 30 mins
- If you wish, you can then remove pie from oven and brush with a little maple syrup.
- Return to oven for another 15 minutes until pie is golden delicious!
Question Of The Day: Obviously- What is your all time favourite kind of pie?