Having spent yet another weekend at my cottage where running water is a thing of far off dreams, we got creative. We have two goals when planning a meal at the cottage:
- What can we make using only what is in the fridge. We try with all our might to never have to go into town/leave paradise.
- What can we make using as few dishes as possible.
One pot meals come up a lot. We had a rather odd selection of vegetables in the fridge, some leftover quinoa that had been cooked with turmeric and really wanted to play outside rather than play in the kitchen.
The result was so wonderfully delicious that when we put the meal before us at the dinner table, about ten minutes after deciding that this was what we would make, we once again made the same old smug sarcastic comment “Wow! That was really hard to come up with a healthy meal”.
In the end we managed to use up a whole bunch of veggies and the only dishes that needed to be done were a cutting board, a knife, a pot and the plates we ate off.
The only downside- we didn’t make enough to enjoy the leftovers for breakfast, lunch and dinner the following day. We had only a little leftover and so I dumped it into our lunch-time bowls of lentil soup and it was Ah-Mazing! Booyizzle One Potshizzle
If you are all over the One-Pot Fridge Bits Meal, have a look at these two winners in that category:
Out of the goodness of my heart, I am offering you a recipe. But please, please pretty please note that any and all ingredients can be replaced by the veggies and grains you already have made. Okizzle?
One Pot Turmeric Perfect Stir Fry
Roughly 1/2 cup each of:
– Red Pepper, sliced
– Carrot, Shredded or peeled thinly with a veggie peeler, or chopped
– Broccoli Florets
– Broccoli Stem
– Green Beans
3 cups spinach
3 cloves garlic
2 tsp dry or 2 inches fresh grated ginger
2 Tbs sesame oil
1 Tbs honey
2-3 Tbs tamari (or to taste)
Olive oil- enough for cooking veggies (if using a non-stick pan you’d need less, but I don’t recommend non-stick pans)
1 Tbs turmeric
sea salt + cayenne to taste
4 eggs or 1/2 block of firm tofu chopped
Left over grains (optional)
- Heat oil and a little water in a pan, add turmeric, garlic and ginger
- Add all vegetables (except any leafy greens you may be using)
- Add sesame oil, tamari and honey
- Sautee on medium until they all look their most vibrant in colour (about 8 minutes)
- Add in eggs (mix in a bowl first) or tofu and continue to stir and fry.
- Once nearly done, add greens just to allow them to wilt in the heat
- Serve over fave grain and laugh at how easy and delicious this is
Question Of The Day: What tends to be your fave quick and easy fridge bits meal?