A salad that’s downright delicious and will actually keep you full until your next meal.
- 1 cup wild rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 can organic BPA-free chickpeas
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped (optional)
- 2 hard-boiled free-range eggs (optional)
- Toasted pine nuts (optional)
- Sea salt and cayenne, to taste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds or herb of choice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Drain and rinse the wild rice. In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil and then add in the wild rice.
- Bring down to medium heat and let it simmer for about 60 minutes, covered, until tender and all the water is absorbed.
- While rice is cooking, toast cumin seeds lightly on a skillet for until fragrant. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Then grind them in a coffee or spice grinder and mix with olive oil and apple cider vinegar in a jar for dressing. Shake well.
- Once the rice is done, fluff with a fork. Add in the chickpeas, vegetables, dried apricots and dressing. Mix well.
- Serve with toasted pine nuts or a warm hard-boiled egg for an added protein boost.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and cayenne pepper to taste.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 60 mins
- Category: Salad