A nourishing, super warming and flavourful bowl of Roasted Butternut Squash and Coconut Apple Bisque
- 1 4 lb butternut squash, about 8 cups
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 red onions, quartered
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks of celery, sliced
- 2 Granny Smith apples, quartered + 1 apple thinly sliced.
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp maca powder
- 1 tbsp goji berries
- 8 cups water
- 1 can organic coconut milk
- sea salt + cayenne to taste
- Preheat oven to 400
- Slice squash lengthwise down the middle, de-seed and rub with olive oil.
- Place sliced side down on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Toss onions, carrots and celery in olive oil and add to baking sheet. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes.
- At 20 minute mark, lightly toss the two quartered apples in olive oil and add to baking sheet. Bake everything for another 20 minutes.
- Remove squash, onions, carrots, celery and apples from oven. Scoop squash away from peel and add to large stock pot with onions, carrots and apples along with minced ginger, cinnamon, grated nutmeg, maca, goji berries and water.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk, sea salt and cayenne and transfer to a blender. May have to do it in batches. Blend until smooth.
- Serve with thin slices of raw apple as garnish.
- Category: Soup