I know a kale salad is a total cliche nutritionist meal, but it's for good reason. A kale salad fits the bill for a perfect simple summer meal because:
- No cooking required.
- The best kale is now available at the farmer's market.
- It's loaded in chlorophyll, which helps us directly convert the sun's rays to energy (a study if you want one).
- It's loaded in antioxidants, which is protective of the more harmful sun's rays.
- It's a super fast meal.
- It's portable, making it great for picnics or lunches away from the desk.
- It's delicious!
I know there was a whole hallaballoo a while back with the whole "Ah, I'm eating too much kale, I'm not healthy anymore" panic. To eat too much kale in the form of this salad, you would need to revert to ape-living and spend your entire day chewing. Don't worry. It's okay.
This salad can be modified in a number of ways but what doesn't change is the massaged kale base. Massaging kale is an important and too often missed step. It helps break down the fiber a little making it easier to chew and digest, and in my opinion, more palatable. I love my kale thinly sliced, massaged with some lemon, sea salt and olive oil and left to rest for five minutes while I prep the other ingredients.
This dressing is a staple in my fridge and I put on everything - including my All Dressed Sweet Potato.
Enjoy this one!
Yield: Serves 2
- 1 head kale, stems removed
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- sprinkle of sea salt
- 1 avocado, cubed
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
- ¼ cup sundried tomatoes, soaked (or ⅓ cup reconstituted)
- 2 Tbsp hemp seeds
- Omit sundried tomatoes and use strips of cooked chicken or beef.
- Swap walnuts for pumpkin seeds and/or sunflower seeds.
- Add marinated tempeh or tofu.
- Slice kale into thin stips and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add lemon juice, olive oil and sea salt and massage for about three minutes until leaves get dark and limp. Set aside as you prep remaining salad ingredients.
- Add all ingredients to the bowl and toss with dressing of choice.
Yield: ¾ cup
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup flax, hemp or olive oil
- 2 Tbsp tamari
- ½ clove garlic
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- water as needed
- Blend all ingredients until smooth.
- Pour over salad or store in a jar in your fridge for 4 days.