It's a bit of funny thing when summer time rolls around and I find that I spend a whole lot of time in the car. Driving to and from my cottage, heading out of town on day-trip adventures, going up to my parents house more... The theme of the summer seems to be on-the-go and as result, our obsession with ready to rock snacks has reached fever pitch.
As I am sure you know, ready made organic snacks cost a sweet, sweet penny. What we do over at the land of Meghan + Man, we prep and ready a load of snacks that we plan to use for the following month- even though we mostly eat them the day we make them all.
For this batch, I kept the ingredients super simple and did them raw styles in my dehydrator. Check out that stray little kale leaf!
If you don't have a dehydrator- toast these up at 200 for about 2 hrs or until crispy.
These are super awesome to serve to guests- thinking UnDiet Entertaining (what? new book maybe???). What's really awesome about this seasoning blend is that they hit all the tastes- sweet, salty and spicy so you feel wonderfully satiated after a handful... or jarful. Whatever's going.
Yield: 6 Cups
- 2 cups pumpkin seeds
- 2 cups pistachios
- 3 Tbs wheat free tamari
- 2 Tbs coconut sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1-2 tsp hot sauce depending on how hot you wanna go.
- 1-2 Tbs arrowroot starch
- In a large bowl, soak you nuts and seeds for 1-2 hours.
- Mix together all liquid ingredients + garlic and mix nuts/seeds in.
- Let sit for another hour, stirring occasionally to allow nuts to absorb the flavours.
- Toss with arrowroot starch to absorb any excess liquid.
- Dehydrator Method
- Lay out on dehydrator sheet and dry at 105 for 10 hours or until dry.
- Preheat oven to 200.
- Lay nuts and seeds out on parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Let dry in oven for 1.5-3 hours- all depends on your oven.
- Watch closely the first time around.
Question Of The Day: What is your favourite seasoning on nuts or seeds?