A gluten-free sweet potato brownie recipe with a little bit of heat!
- 3 ounces (or about 1 bar) unsweetened chocolate
1 Tbsp coconut oil, plus extra for greasing the pan
- 3/4 cup apple sauce
- 1/2 cup sweet potato puree
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup raw honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour, plus extra for dusting the pan
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup water, if needed
- Preheat the oven to 350. Coat an 8 inch square pan with coconut oil and dust with flour.
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil over low heat.
- Combine applesauce, sweet potato, coconut sugar, honey, cocoa powder and vanilla. I used my blender, but a food processor would work well too. You can also use a whisk and a bowl.
- Add the chocolate/oil mix to the blender and blend/combine until smooth. The mixture should be creamy, not too dry.
- Pour the mixture into a large bowl and mix in the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, cayenne and sea salt. Add water if needed 1 Tbsp at a time if needed.
- Pour batter into the pan, smooth it out with a spatula. Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Insert a tooth pick in to make sure cooked through, they should be firm when you press down. Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
Keywords: brownies, gluten-free, dairy-free, gluten-free brownies, sweet potato brownies, spicy sweet potato brownies, gluten-free baking