Written by Dr. Holly Fennell.
At Inside Out Health Solutions my patients are always asking for help in creating a great first aid kit. I have a few key homeopathic products that are always stocked in my personal medicine cabinet. By being prepared and having these things on hand you can make healthy decisions for healing yourself and your family!
Homeopathic remedies are safe to use and best of all they really work. Simply melt three to five pellets of the homeopathic remedy under your tongue. Homeopathic remedies are best taken away from strong tastes such as mint, coffee or garlic. This means if you have just eaten rinse your mouth out with water before taking your homeopathic. A few of my favourite remedies are listed below.
1. Homeopathic Arnica Montana: This is a must! Arnica is a homeopathic remedy that is safe for kids, adults and the elderly. Be sure you are taking Homeopathic Arnica and not the herbal remedy. It has so many applications that you will be amazed how useful these tiny pellets can be. Before you reach for medications give Arnica a try for bruises, aches and pains, arthritic pain, sunburns, muscle stiffness (great to take after a tough workout!) , sprains and jet leg (for jet leg we use Arnica Montana in the 1M potency or dose).
2. Homeopathic Aconite: Beat that cold or flu before it starts. This is a wonderful homeopathic for the start of an illnesses that comes on quickly such as cold or flu, sore throats, ear aches. etc. I of course suggest you come into the clinic to be examined if you are ill but Aconite is a wonderful first measure. Aconite is also used for cases of sudden shock or fright.
3. Homeopathic Arsenicum Album: Your stomach will thank you for this one if you are struck with food poisoning or diarrhoea. This remedy is imperative for travel as both these conditions can lead to dehydration quickly. I also give this homeopathic to my patients when they develop heartburn.
4. Homeopathic Cantharis: This is one of my favourite remedies to prescribe for urinary tract infections ( you must see your healthcare provider to properly diagnose a urinary tract infection). This remedy is indicated when you feel an extreme urgency to urinate yet only a very small amount of urine passes....and it BURNS! I also suggest this remedy for blisters and burns on the skin.
5. Homeopathic Chamomilla: if you have kids do not leave home without it. This is a lovely remedy for earaches, teething pains, fevers and colic. If you have a grouchy little one in pain this remedy is a life saver until you can have them examined.
This is a short list but at Inside Out Health Solutions I've created first aid kits that are stocked with the remedies you need to be prepared. We customise kits for kids, pregnancy, men, women and first aid.
Question Of The Day: What are your must-haves for a first aid kit?
Connect Dr. Holly Fennell