A delicious gluten-free and dairy-free pancake recipe from The UnDiet Cookbook
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot starch
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg or 1 serving Chia Paste (page 205 in The UnDiet Cookbook)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup organic unsweetened organic applesauce or Simple Applesauce (page 204 in The UnDiet Cookbook)
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil or organic ghee, softened
- 1 Tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup dairy-free semisweet chocolate chips
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients. The sifting is a bit tedious, but it does help with the pancake fluff factor. (You can skip it if you want, though.)
- In a separate bowl, mix all the wet ingredients together. If your coconut oil is solid, you may wish to warm it over the stove to liquefy it. (Sometimes I’ll totally cheat and throw all the wet ingredients into the blender.)
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mix, and then stir in the chocolate chips. If you like your pancakes on the thinner side, add a little more water to the batter. It doesn’t take much to thin the mix, so be careful. You don’t want your pancakes to become a runny mess.
- Heat your skillet to medium heat and dollop on some coconut oil or ghee. Scoop 1/4 cup of batter at a time into the hot skillet. Once you see bubbles start to form, it’s time to flip these babies over. The trick with pancakes is to keep the heat high enough to cook them through, but not so high that it burns the outside while the inside is left raw. Once you find the right spot on your stove, take note! Let the pancakes sit for 5 minutes before serving. This helps them firm up in the middle.
- Serve with your favorite toppings. I love shredded unsweetened, dried, shredded coconut, ground flax, ground goji berries, and a drizzle of Special Syrup (page 205 in The UnDiet Cookbook).
Excerpted from The UnDiet Cookbook: 130 Gluten-Free Recipes for a Healthy and Awesome Life by Meghan Telpner. Copyright © 2015 Meghan Telpner. Photography Copyright © 2015 Maya Visnyei. Published by Appetite by Random House, a division of Random House of Canada Ltd., a Penguin Random House Company. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Breakfast