Oh my love sweet lovers. I can only go so long without sharing some sweet, sweet chocolate love.
I created this gem for the attendees at my Raw Food Power workshop a couple weeks ago. I always have a challenge when I do the same workshops over and over again.
See- I come up with the plan, the recipes, the flow and then I do it once and need to change it up. As a little girl, my parents would go out for the evening and I would decide with my baby-sitter that it was time to rearrange the furniture in my room. This happened a lot! Who new one French Provincial furniture set could have so many potential configurations.
Recently, my main man, told me that he thinks it's good for me to have creative projects. And I once had a boss tell me that he fears the trouble my idle hands may cause. So it goes. When I get restless these days and can't move all my furniture around (although my recent move to a new home was exhilarating and almost everything in my kitchen is on wheels for a reason), can't job hop or be the queen of first dates (all past hobbies), I create new chocolate recipes and then proudly share them with guests at my classes.
The response I usually get is "Where's the recipe for this". My answer- "I'll get it to you. Isn't it delicious though!"
For this layered mint chocolate treat, I wanted this to be refreshing, satisfying, just sweet enough, and loaded with the most nutrient packed goodness I could squeeze into one square of chocolate. This had to be the perfect summer chocolate and my goodness it is! Hence the name: Summer Mint Truffle.
The magic ingredient in this truffle is the mint essential oil. I used the brand new ones I am carrying from Living Libations. When it comes to using essential oils in our food- we need it to be top of the charts amazing. We want the best of the best. Seriously. And I am pretty sure Living Libations is the best of the best.
- Mix a drop of mint with a little jojoba or coconut oil for the best muscle soothing massage oil.
- Add a drop to your morning smoothie for a refreshing lift.
- Add a drop to your water bottle (glass or stainless steel of course) for a refresh to your water.
- Keep a bottle in your purse for travelling- great as an anti-nauseant. Drop on a tissue and inhale.
- Use as an instant disinfectant. Those pink soaps in public bathrooms creep me right out. I dab one drop of peppermint oil onto my hands and rub it around for anti-bacterial/viral/fungal/microbial benefits.
Bonus use: In chocolate of course!
Summer Mint Truffles
1/4 cup coconut oil
2 Tbs dried coconut, ground in a coffee grinder
2 Tbs goji berries, ground
1/8 tsp Matcha
1/8 tsp spirulina (optional)
3 drops peppermint essential oil
2 tsp honey or sweeten to taste
- Using a DIY double boiler (one large pot full of water and smaller pot inside it for melting) over low heat, melt together the coconut oil, cacao butter, honey, maca and cacao powder. You need this only warm enough that the goods melt together
- Using a pop-out ice cube tray or candy mould, Pour about 1/2 Tbs of chocolate into each cup just until bottom is covered.
- Place in freezer for 5-10 minutes or until solid.
- Meanwhile, mix together your minty fresh filling.
- Remove chocolate from freezer and spoon mint mixture over first layer of chocolate. Replace to freezer to let harden- about 10 mins..
- At this point, you may need to reheat the remaining chocolate mix, do so just until it is pourable again.
- Gently spoon chocolate into each compartment until mint mix is covered fully.
- Return to freezer to allow chocolate to set.
Question Of The Day: How do you use your essential oils? Which is your favourite?