The other day I was speaking with a woman about the work that I do. She asked me how I can initiate change from people who are older and perhaps more set in their ways. I responded by explaining that what I always try and communicate, no matter who I am working with or speaking to, is something that will hit home for that individual.
Everyone has their own trigger, their own motivation and their own bad habits. If I can work out what will really make sense for their lives, that change will be far less scary than what could happen if they carry on with the bad habit. Change is hard, no matter how old we are or how set in our ways we might be. We are creatures of habit.
I get a lot of emails from people asking me about what they can do to help their sister's son's girlfriend's mother's best friend's father and how I wish I could help and respond to all these questions. My advice is always to do some research, find an article and pass it along. My relatives and friends make the worst clients, hands down. They're not going to listen to me. Even my mom, who does actually take my advice most of the time, will call me to tell me that she was watching Oprah and Dr. Oz had said the same thing that I am always saying and suddenly it has a little more truth and value for her.
After my posts this week on Artificial Sweeteners, I have realized a few things. The first is that you are all here because you are making changes, are encouraged by what I am sharing and are on side with me on most things or at least open to hearing me out and that is awesome and amazing for me. However, for every one of you who agrees, I'll bet there are at least twenty people in your life that disagree, don't get it, or just have yet to make the connection. I want them to read this.
I want for you to send them a post, something you think will resonate with them either from here or from another honest, truthful health blog, or natural news source (and please share those links here too!) Give a little passive aggressive nudge in the right direction towards health.
I have collected for you some of my more, um, challenging topics that I have addressed and if you know of someone that needs some encouragement, that needs to read something that might hit home for them and help them to make some positive changes, just send them over this way. They're not my relatives so perhaps they just might listen to me.
- Know someone hooked on margarine: The Butter Battle
- How about Coke? Coke Makes People Fat (Updated)
- Think The Pill is making your loved one insane? The Pill: Sex, Drugs, and Mood Swings, Part 1
- Does your sister think the vaccine is going to save her life? H1N1: To Vaccinate Or Not To Vaccinate
- Does your mother swear by the Food Guide? : Challenging Acceptance: The Food Guide
- Is your father lowering his cholesterol with drugs? Lower Cholesterol with Plants and Porridge
- Think the doctors have the magic pill when we get sick: At Last Prevention Makes Headlines
- Is your doctor insisting you need milk for strong bones?: Milking It For All It’s Worth
- And is someone you know and love Sipping On Poison