I drink a lot of smoothies, teas, elixirs and green juice. I also smile a lot. It's a very crooked smile, but it's mine. Sadly, the former often makes the latter a little less sparkly.
I personally would never go the route of chemical whitening that most conventional dentists offer, or that you can get at the drug store. They are mostly chemicals and most of these whitening systems work using bleaching agents that will bleach out the teeth, but impact the integrity of the tooth's enamel at the same time. This helps the teeth look whiter immediately after a treatment, but will increase their susceptibility to future staining, and can also cause actual damage to the teeth.
We have enough chemical exposure just by living on this planet these days, so wherever possible I like to lower the load. The great thing is that you can both reduce your exposure to chemicals and have whiter teeth. Oh, the priorities we have these days.
Below I have for you my recipe and video for a simple tooth whitening regime, and a few other things you can try:
- Use a straw, preferably glass, for any of your berry-rich smoothies and green juices.
- Rinse your mouth or even better, brush your teeth 20-30 minutes after consuming staining foods. (Note, you want to wait 20-30 minutes to allow the pH in your mouth to re-regulate after the act of chewing/drinking).
- Add a little baking soda to your tooth brush for a light daily polish when brushing.
- Seek out the care of a holistic dentist that will do dental cleanings without harsh chemicals.
And if you're ready, here is my demonstration of one of my favourite safe and simple tooth whitening strategies.
Yield: 1 time use
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- Water for rinsing
- Using your finger or a tooth brush, lightly coat your teeth with baking soda and brush gently.
- Sip a little cider vinegar and give it all a rinse, minding the foaming that is going to happen.
- Swish, swish, swish. Once the foaming stops spit the contents into the sink. Rinse with some clean water and admire your chompers in the mirror.
Ready to ditch the chemicals? Get FREE access to my natural beauty directory and discover my favourite brands. Learn More