An easy vegan Pad Thai using tamarind for delicious flavour.
For The Sauce
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp tamari
- 1/4 cup sunflower butter (or sunflower seeds if you have a high powered blender)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 small tomato (about 1/4 cup) or 2 Tbsp cup tomato puree
- 2 Tbsp hot sauce of choice
- 2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp tamarind
For The Pad Thai
- 1/2 package of wide, flat rice noodles (or noodle of choice)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 package firm sprouted tofu (about 454 gram or 1 lb)
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup broccoli florets, cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 red pepper, sliced thin
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1/2–1 tsp sambal olek (or 2 small dried thai chilies)
- 1/2 cup cashews, chopped
- Lime wedges for garnish
- Blend all ingredients together in your blender or food processor.
- Set aside.
- Cook noodles as directed on package (though please remove and drain just before fully cooked). The noodles will be added to the Pad Thai and if you cook them too long, they can quickly turn to mush.
- Wrap your block of tofu in some clean towels and cover in a few of your heavy cookbooks. This helps press out the extra water and create a denser texture. Let sit for 20-30 minutes.
- Cut tofu into small squares or triangles, or mix it up!
- Heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add tofu and lightly pan fry, turning to brown on all sides.
- Remove tofu and set aside.
- Add remaining olive oil, red onion and garlic to the pan and cook for about five minutes.
- Add the broccoli and red pepper and let cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add the sauce to pan and cook, stirring constantly for two minutes (to avoid any sticking).
- Add the bean sprouts, hot chilis and cashews. Return the tofu to the pan.
- Once noodles are ready, add to the pan and stir around, mixing in to the sauce thoroughly. Tongs can be helpful.
- Serve hot and garnish with lime.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
Keywords: pad thai, vegan pad thai, tamarind, gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan