No, I haven't up and hopped the Atlantic again. I have, however, been eating up one of my favourite Italian-inspired veggie recipes. Obviously one of the reasons I love this so much is because it is so colourful. The way I see it, there are two types of roasted vegetable dishes. There are the ones we eat in the winter and the ones we eat in the summer.
Winter roast vegetables are made with winter veggies- beets, sweet potatoes, squash etc. Alas, my sweet readers, winter is a thing of the past and we can now be released from the root veggies for a little while.
The summer roasted vegetables- watch out lightness and colour! This Tuscan style roast veggie side dish is made with red and yellow bell peppers, summer squash, fresh herbs, onions and garlic. It is great served at room temperature so perhaps a great dish to bring to those warm weather BBQs, picnics or to make and take up to your cottage as an easy, ready made side dish. No matter what else goes on the plate, this dish will make it look pretty as can be. And did I mention delicious?
I am off to the family cottage in Haliburton for the sweet first long weekend of the cottage season. Have a great one!
- Tuscan Summer Roasted Veggies
- 2 small zucchini
- 1 red onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 3 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt to taste
- 3 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh oregano (or dried flakes)
- Wash, dry and clean all vegetables.
- Cut all vegetables in half.
- Place all vegetables, including garlic, on an oven grill - I use a pizza pan that has holes in the bottom.
- Place grill into the oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Or until vegetables are cooked through but not overcooked.
- Remove from the oven and let cool just enough for handling.
- Slice all vegetables to desired thickness, peel and slice garlic cloves and mix them together in a serving dish.
- Combine remaining ingredients together and add to the vegetables.
- Mix well until vegetables are well coated.