Former New York Times reporter Melanie Warner's book Pandora's Lunchbox blew my mind. I thought I knew a lot about our food and what happens in the process of turning whole food into cheap, processed, convenient snacks and meals, but Melanie reveals tricks of the trade that I hadn't even considered. This is well worth a listen for you and your kids, too!
In this interview, we discuss:
- The mysterious non-food ingredient in her store-bought guacamole.
- The food processing conference where everything is made from altered starch.
- Melanie's trip to the plant where they turn soy into filler for meat and veg burgers.
- How air-popped cereal is made.
- How this food fits into our healthy eating goals.