A warm and hearty anti-inflammatory meal.
- 2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- Pinch or two of chili flakes or cayenne
- 2 Tbs fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cups yellow split peas, soaked for 6–8 hours and rinsed thoroughly
- 6 cups of water
- Sea salt to taste
- 1/2 – 1 cup green peas (fresh or frozen)
- Cilantro, as optional garnish
- Heat large pot over medium heat and add mustard seeds and toast until they begin to pop.
- Add in oil and onion and saute until oil becomes translucent (about 8 mins).
- Add in curry powder, chili/cayenne, and fresh ginger.
- Saute for another minute or two.
- Add in the split peas and water.
- Cover and bring to a boil then reduce heat and summer for about 45 mins (until peas are soft and creamy).
- Add salt and season to taste. Stir in the green peas.
- Remove from heat and serve over greens or your fave grain.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins