Healthwashing: Uncovering Food Myths
Healthy is good. Calling something healthy is what companies do. Companies calling something healthy when it really isn't is healthwashing.
"Healthwashing" as a term is quickly becoming as well known as pinkwashing (products made in the name of cancer research that are known or likely carcinogens) and greenwashing (products promoted as good for the environment when they're not).
As it's written on the Healthwashing Wall Of Shame
Healthwashing is a term used to describe the activities of companies and groups that position themselves as leaders in the crusade forward to good health while engaging in practices that may be contributing to our poor health... A good product, campaign or service stands on their own goodness, not on a claim and offers full disclosure of all ingredients and activity. (If it's a product on shelf, it's always best to judge something by what's IN the box, not by what's promised across the outside in big, fabulous exciting designs. The bigger the claim, usually the more Healthwashed.
My articles exposing companies for their false or misleading claims, or generally agreed upon health benefits that aren't founded anything other than effective marketing are some of my most popular posts.
I have gathered them here for you for quick and easy reference.
Healthwashing on MeghanTelpner.com
- Healthwashing Makes Me Feel Dirty: 10 Tips To Avoid The Trap
- 3 Ingredients That Decode Healthwashing
- Understanding Health Claims
- Varieties of Seeds Owned By Monsanto
- Stop Hating On Health
They Want You To Think it's Good For You
- Popular Post! Arbonne Calling: Is Arbonne Really as Pure and Safe as They Say
- Arbonne Review Update: Has Anything Changed?
- Popular Post! The Soylent Killer
- Johnson and Johnson: Healthwashing Babies for Over 100 Years
- Artificial Sweeteners: Sipping On Poison Part 1
- Artificial Sweeteners: Sipping On Poison Part 2
- Healthy Frozen Meals: No Such Thing
- A Little Sweetness, A Lot Of Bitter
- Chocolate Milk Is Not A Sports Recovery Drink
- Friendly Correspondence: Pop Chips
- Friendly Correspondence: McCain Foods
- Popular Post! The Truth Behind Centrum Vitamins
- Diet Coke For Breakfast
- Hospital Menus: Building Health or Disease
- The Brown Food Myth
You'll Never Look At These The Same Way
- What's In That Low Fat Ice Cream?
- The Secret Life Of A Hot Dog
- Veggie Nightmares: The Horror of Faux Meat
- Ramen: Would You Like Some Noodles with Your Sodium?
- Why We Mostly Hate Soy
- Popular Post! There's Shit In My Yogurt
- What's Crisco Really Made Of?
- Popular Post! 5 Reasons To Ban Nutella From The Breakfast Table
- Seitan: Not Just A Clever Name
- Popular Post! What's Lurking In That Baby Formula
- The UnFreshening Scent of Air Freshener
When Profit and Politics Clouds Judgement
- Pass Me The Genetically Altered Corn Please
- Udderly Unimpressed: Healthwashing of Canadian Dairy
- Soy Masquerading As A Whole Lot of Other Stuff
- Popular Post! Ensure, Abbot Labs and The Carageenan Conspiracy
- Was Your Lunch Made For Your or For Profit
- Popular Post! Popping The Top Off Coca Cola
- Popular Post! Food Irradiation: 5 Things You Need To Know