You know that I am all over hand picking superfoods. You also know how much I love super powered foods that heal the body. I do have my limits though and it turns out that noni is it. Not even a spoonful of sugar can make this medicine go down for me. Hooooweeee is it stinky. The video pretty much captures it all.
These noni fruits were handpicked by our friend Charlie, a local herbalist. They may not have been totally wild, but as if a white picket fence would stop us when we set out on our herb walking mission.
Only a fruit this ugly could taste as bad as it does.
My advice- use the leaves. They are as potent as, and some sources say more potent than the fruits themselves. We just chopped them up, poured hot water over them and seeped them like a tea.
Now, we know a food is a good one when its stated health benefits range from macular degenration to cancer. This is why, despite the horrific taste, while I am down in St. Lucia in January/February, I will likely be trying this again:
- Macular Degeneration: Helps prevent and treat macular degeneration by enhancing the production of more melanin pigment by the macula.
- Mental Health: Found to be beneficial in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues, such as insomnia, stress and depression- yay for calming us right on down.
- Immune System: Strengthen the immune system, helping the body to fight disease and infection as well as helping damaged cells to regenerate.
- Reproductive Health: Helpful in the treatment of menstrual and prostate problems.Has been used to treat menstrual stuff fibroids, reduce cramping and regulate menstrual flow.
- Prostate Health: Shown to be beneficial in shrinking enlarged prostate glands.
- Pain Relief: Has analgesic properties, making it useful as a pain reliever for headaches and other painful conditions.
- Cancer: Noni contains active compounds that have powerful tumor-fighting properties, and is used as a supplement for peeps with the big C.
- Skin Health:Rich in essential fatty acids, noni boosts healthy skin and nerve cells.
Come back tomorrow for the complete opposite of choking back the medicine. I have a round-up of my fave desserts just in time for the holidays!