I can only go so long without sharing some sweet, sweet chocolate love. And what goes better with chocolate than mint? That’s why I’m sharing these dairy-free mint chocolate truffles.
I always have a challenge when I do the same workshops over and over again, and look for ways to adapt and add some extra interest. I come up with the plan, the recipes, the flow and then I do a few times and need to change it up – even if it’s just a small change.
As a little girl, my parents would go out for the evening and I would decide with my baby-sitter that it was time to rearrange the furniture in my room. This happened a lot! Who knew one French Provincial furniture set could have so many potential configurations.
Recently, my main man told me that he thinks it’s good for me to have creative projects. And I once had a boss tell me that he fears the trouble my idle hands may cause. So it goes. When I get restless these days and can’t move all my furniture around (although my recent move to a new home was exhilarating and almost everything in my kitchen is on wheels for a reason), can’t job hop or be the queen of first dates (all past hobbies), I create new chocolate recipes and then proudly share them.
The response I usually get is “Where’s the recipe for this?”. My answer – “I’ll get it to you. Isn’t it delicious though!”
dairy-free mint chocolate truffles, with a vegan option
For these layered mint chocolate treats, I wanted them to be refreshing, satisfying, just sweet enough, and loaded with the most nutrient packed goodness I could squeeze into one square of chocolate. And my goodness these mint chocolate truffles are good!
The magic ingredient in this truffle is the mint essential oil. I used the brand new ones I am carrying from Living Libations. When it comes to using essential oils in our food – we need it to be top of the charts amazing. We want the best of the best. Seriously. And I am pretty sure Living Libations is the best of the best.
For more about essential oils, check out:
- My Favourite Living Libations Essential Oil Products
- How to Know if Your Essential Oils Are Top Quality?
- 5 Essential Oils To Clean Your Home
5 Ways to Use Peppermint Essential Oil
Here are my top five uses for the peppermint essential oil.
- Mix a drop of mint with a little jojoba or coconut oil for the best muscle soothing massage oil.
- Add a drop to your morning smoothie for a refreshing lift.
- Add a drop to your water bottle (glass or stainless steel of course) for a refresh to your water.
- Keep a bottle in your purse for travelling – great as an anti-nauseant. Drop on a tissue and inhale.
- Use as an instant disinfectant. Those pink soaps in public bathrooms creep me right out. I dab one drop of peppermint oil onto my hands and rub it around for anti-bacterial/viral/fungal/microbial benefits.
Bonus use: In chocolate of course!
Let’s make the most delicious chocolate mint truffles. If you don’t have matcha or spirulina to make the filling green – not to worry, you can leave them out. The filling will still be minty delicious!Print
Chocolate Mint Truffles
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 12–16 1x
An incredible chocolate truffle using peppermint oil for a refreshing minty flavour.
For The Chocolate
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup cacao butter
- 1 Tbsp raw honey, or maple syrup or coconut syrup for a vegan option
- 1 tsp maca (optional)
For the Minty Middle
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp dried coconut, ground in a coffee grinder
- 2 Tbs goji berries, ground
- 1/8 tsp matcha
- 1/8 tsp spirulina (optional)
- 3 drops peppermint essential oil
- 2 tsp honey or maple syrup, or sweeten to taste
- Make a DIY double boiler (one large pot full of water and smaller pot inside it for melting). Over low heat, melt together the cacao powder, coconut oil, cacao butter, honey and maca. You need this only warm enough that the goods melt together.
- Using a pop-out ice cube tray or candy mold, Pour about 1/2 Tbsp of chocolate into each cup just until bottom is covered.
- Place in freezer for 5-10 minutes or until solid.
- Meanwhile, mix together your minty fresh filling.
- Remove chocolate from freezer and spoon mint mixture over first layer of chocolate. Replace to freezer to let harden – about 10 minutes.
- At this point, you may need to reheat the remaining chocolate mix, do so just until it is pourable again.
- Gently spoon chocolate into each compartment until mint mix is covered fully.
- Return to freezer to allow chocolate to set.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
Keywords: truffles, chocolate mint, chocolate mint truffles, mint chocolate truffles, chocolate truffles
How do you use your essential oils? Which is your favourite?
10 responses to “Mint Chocolate Truffles”
I find that peppermint oil is also nice to inhale when *smelly* people get on a full bus.
I now want to eat those for breakkie! Thank you for the recipe :)
These sound yummy!
How do you grind goji berries (I have never bought them so unsure of the texture). Is it a coffee grinder type of task or do they sell them in a powder form?
Holy moly I had no idea how much superfood goodness was in those badboys! Spirulina, matcha, maca, phytoplankton? Word! And they tasted amazing!!
peppermint oil is also amazing massaged into your temples if you feel a headache coming on! Lavender also helps with this :)
Also do you find these stay solid at room temp in an apartment with no air conditioning!? I am trying to concoct a chocolate that will do just that during a Toronto summer :)
I had a question about the molds – is using the silicon molds ok? Are there tips in purchasing them? I know Meghan is super conscious about stuff like that, so any tips would be helpful. Thanks!
I am not heating the moulds so I am not too concerned. The other option is to use small muffin tins or stainless steel candy trays and wrap them in paper. This is the easiest though :)
These look AMAZING! In addition to every thing else on your site. You’ve inspired me to start experiment more with my cooking. Yum :)
Have fun with it! Most delicious type of experimenting there ever was- and you get healthy in the process. Bonus!