Sometimes, the world's problems seem overwhelming and insurmountable. Whenever I worry about the collective 'us', I remember there are thousands of people creating meaningful change daily and that every choice counts. I am fortunate to be part of a passionate community through my business and the Academy of Culinary Nutrition, the school I founded in 2014. We are now at over 1,800 alumni worldwide and each year, I'm honoured to share their delicious recipes with you and support amazing causes at the same time.
One of my favourite projects is From Scratch Cooking, the Academy of Culinary Nutrition's annual e-cookbook for charity. We donate 100% of the proceeds we raise.
From Scratch Cooking 2019 Edition is launching today and I am thrilled to share it with you.
This is the 6th edition of the cookbook and your generosity and support of this project means everything to me. Since we began publishing this digital cookbook in 2014, we have raised over $50,000 for charitable organizations, including:
- Organics 4 Orphans: They help communities in Africa learn to grow their own food so they can become independent and self-sustaining.
- Kiva: A microlending program that gives money to projects around the world. We invested most of the funds in food-related projects that allowed small business owners to earn an income.
- Pencils of Promise: This non-profit raises funds to build schools in the developing world.
- Community Food Centres Canada: A national charity that creates spaces where people can come together to cook and learn new food skills.
This year, we are once again raising funds for Organics 4 Orphans as we simply love helping them continue their much-needed work. We hope to raise $15,000 for this worthy cause.
To celebrate the 6th edition of From Scratch Cooking, I want to share one of From Scratch Cooking 2019's gluten-free and dairy-free recipes for you to enjoy. It's a Tie-Dye Tropical Turmeric Chia Parfait by Culinary Nutrition Expert Jennifer Barr of Toronto, Ontario. If you haven't checked out her Instagram, you really must. She's a champion meal prepper and her weekly doses of gorgeously prepped meals and snacks will inspire you to get in the kitchen immediately.
This Tie-Dye Tropical Turmeric Chia Parfait is a fantastic vegan recipe that you can prep in advance to make mornings smooth and easy. Loaded with fruit, dairy-free coconut yogurt, turmeric – perhaps one of my all-time favourite spices – and chia seeds, you'll feel ready to take on the day after eating it. Plus, it's super bright and colourful, which is always a bonus!
I hope you are inspired to try this recipe, and if you're looking for more goodies like this, then get your copy of From Scratch Cooking now.
Yield: 2-3 servings
- ½ cup chopped pineapple
- ¾ cup almond milk
- ⅓ cup unsweetened coconut yogurt
- 3 ½ Tbsp chia seeds
- 3 Tbsp gluten-free rolled oats
- 2 Tbsp of unsweetened shredded coconut, plus extra for garnish
- 1 Tbsp vanilla protein powder
- ¼ Tbsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- Optional: Toasted buckwheat and shredded coconut for garnish
- ½ cup blackberries
- ½ cup blueberries
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut yogurt
- Place pineapple into a blender and blend until liquid.
- Place the pineapple and all remaining chia pudding ingredients into a bowl and mix until fully combined. Cover and place in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight for best results.
- Once the chia pudding has sat overnight, get your favourite glass jars ready for layering. Put a layer of pudding, followed by the coconut yogurt and then the fruit. Repeat the layers again, ending with the fruit. (For turmeric lovers, sprinkle a little more turmeric in between the layers!) Top with a sprinkle of shredded coconut or toasted buckwheat if desired.